Confocal micrograph of an Arabidopsis root (red autofluorescence) and its colonizing bacteria (green fluorescence; visualized by means of fluorescence in situ hybridization). © K. Schlaeppi
Sampling the root microbiota of a 25day old maize plant grown in microcosms © K. Schlaeppi
Representation of a wheat root microbiome form a co-occurrence analysis. (Adapted from Hartman et al. (2018), Microbiome Journal)
Plants accommodate on and inside plant roots a specific and species-rich microbiota. These microbes collectively function as a microbiome and, similar to the microbial communities in human or animal guts, they impact nutrition and health of their host. Individual root microbiota members are known to support plant growth e.g., by improving nutrition acquisition or providing pathogen protection. However, we still have a rudimentary understanding how plants interact with their associated microbial communities.
In our research we focus on the functional contribution of the root microbiota to plant growth and disease protection. A particular interest is how plants communicate with the root microbiota and how they influence their activities. Finally, we asses if we can manipulate the root microbiota for smart and sustainable agriculture.
We mainly investigate plant-microbiome interactions using Arabidopsis thaliana and Zea mays as models. We combine field and lab experiments and make use of methods in microbiomics, molecular biology, microbiology, plant genetics and bioinformatics.
- Core microbiomes for sustainable agroecosystems (vol 4, pg 247, 2018)
Toju, H; Peay, KG; Yamamichi, M; Narisawa, K; Hiruma, K; Naito, K; Fukuda, S; Ushio, M; Nakaoka, S; Onoda, Y; Yoshida, K; Schlaeppi, K; Bai, Y; Sugiura, R; Ichihashi, Y; Minamisawa, K; Kiers, ET
NATURE PLANTS, 4 (9):733-733; 10.1038/s41477-018-0245-3 SEP 2018
- Keystone taxa as drivers of microbiome structure and functioning
Banerjee, S; Schlaeppi, K; van der Heijden, MGA
NATURE REVIEWS MICROBIOLOGY, 16 (9):567-576; 10.1038/s41579-018-0024-1 SEP 2018
- Conservation tillage and organic farming induce minor variations in Pseudomonas abundance, their antimicrobial function and soil disease resistance
Dennert F; Imperiali N; Staub C; Schneider J; Laessle T; Zhang T; Wittwer R; van der Heijden MG; Smits THM; Schlaeppi K; Keel C; Maurhofer M
FEMS MICROBIOLOGY ECOLOGY, 94 (8):10.1093/femsec/fiy075 AUG 2018
- Root exudate metabolites drive plant-soil feedbacks on growth and defense by shaping the rhizosphere microbiota
Lingfei Hu, Christelle AM Robert, Selma Cadot, Xi Zhang, Meng Ye, Beibei Li, Daniele Manzo, Noemie Chervet, Thomas Steinger, Marcel GA van der Heijden, Klaus Schlaeppi & Matthias Erb
NATURE COMMUNICATIONS 9: 2738 10.1038/s41467-018-05122-7 JUL 16 2018
- Core microbiomes for sustainable agroecosystems
Toju H; Peay KG; Yamamichi M; Narisawa K; Hiruma K; Naito K; Fukuda S; Ushio M; Nakaoka S; Onoda Y; Yoshida K; Schlaeppi K; Bai Y; Sugiura R; Ichihashi Y; Minamisawa K; Kiers ET
NATURE PLANTS, 4 (5):247-257; 10.1038/s41477-018-0139-4 MAY 2018
- Cropping practices manipulate abundance patterns of root and soil microbiome members paving the way to smart farming (vol 6, 14, 2018)
Hartman, K; van der Heijden, MGA; Wittwer, RA; Banerjee, S; Walser, JC; Schlaeppi, K
MICROBIOME, 6 10.1186/s40168-018-0456-x APR 24 2018
- Detecting macroecological patterns in bacterial communities across independent studies of global soils
Ramirez, Kelly S.; Knight, Christopher G.; de Hollander, Mattias; et al.
NATURE MICROBIOLOGY, 3 (2): 189-196, 10.1038/s41564-017-0062-x FEB 2018
- Community Profiling of Fusarium in Combination with Other Plant-Associated Fungi in Different Crop Species Using SMRT Sequencing
Walder, Florian; Schlaeppi, Klaus; Wittwer, Raphael; et al.
FRONTIERS IN PLANT SCIENCE, 8: NOV 28 2017 Article (Details)
- Continuum of root-fungal symbioses for plant nutrition
van der Heijden, Marcel G. A.; Dombrowski, Nina; Schlaeppi, Klaus
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, 114 (44): 11574-11576 OCT 1 2017
- Combined Field Inoculations of Pseudomonas Bacteria, Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi, and Entomopathogenic Nematodes and their Effects on Wheat Performance
Imperiali, Nicola; Chiriboga, Xavier; Schlaeppi, Klaus; et al.
FRONTIERS IN PLANT SCIENCE, 8: OCT 31 2017 Article (Details)
- Structure and function of root microbiomes
- Microbiota manipulation with synthetic communities in microcosms
- Communication by root exudates
- Microbiome diagnostics for improving applications of biologicals
- Multi-tropic effects of the root microbiome
- Microbial soil ecology
- Sustainable Agriculture