Responses of plants and ecosystems to global environmental change
Plants are fundamental components of the earth system. Their ability to assimilate atmospheric CO2 and to transpire H2O drives the biogeochemical cycles in ecosystems and determines as such the provision of ecosystem goods and services that we as people depend on. In the Physiological Plant Ecology Group at ETH Zurich we investigate the physiological responses of plants to their environmental in order to understand how plants govern the function of ecosystems in a changing world. Our research operates at different scales that range from the leaf to the landscape level and links plant ecophysiology to plant population dynamics and ecosystem biogeochemistry.
- Employing stable isotopes to determine the residence times of soil water and the temporal origin of water taken up by Fagus sylvatica and Picea abies in a temperate forest
Brinkmann, N; Seeger, S; Weiler, M; Buchmann, N; Eugster, W; Kahmen, A
NEW PHYTOLOGIST, 219 (4):1300-1313; 10.1111/nph.15255 SEP 2018
- Daily stem diameter variations can predict the canopy water status of mature temperate trees
Dietrich, Lars; Zweifel, Roman; Kahmen, Ansgar
TREE PHYSIOLOGY Volume: 38 Issue: 7 Pages: 941-952 DOI: 10.1093/treephys/tpy023 JUL 2018
- H-2-fractionations during the biosynthesis of carbohydrates and lipids imprint a metabolic signal on the H-2 values of plant organic compounds
Cormier, Marc-Andre; Werner, Roland A.; Sauer, Peter E.; Grocke, DR; Leuenberger, MC; Wieloch, T; Schleucher, J; Kahmen, A
NEW PHYTOLOGIST Volume: 218 Issue: 2 Pages: 479-491 DOI: 10.1111/nph.15016 Published: APR 2018
- Rapid atmospheric transport and large-scale deposition of recently synthesized plant waxes
Nelson, Daniel B.; Ladd, S. Nemiah; Schubert, Carsten J.; et al.
GEOCHIMICA ET COSMOCHIMICA ACTA, 222: 599-617; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2017.11.018 FEB 1 2018
- Cryogenic vacuum artifacts do not affect plant water-uptake studies using stable isotope analysis
Newberry, S. L.; Nelson, D. B.; Kahmen, A.
ECOHYDROLOGY, 10 (8): DOI: 10.1002/eco.1892 DEC 2017
- Hydrological and ecological changes in western Europe between 3200 and 2000 years BP derived from lipid biomarker delta D values in lake Meerfelder Maar sediments
Rach, O.; Engels, S.; Kahmen, A.; et al.
QUATERNARY SCIENCE REVIEWS, 172: 44-54 DOI: 10.1016/j.quascirev.2017.07.019 SEP 15 2017
- Oxygen isotope fractionations across individual leaf carbohydrates in grass and tree species
Lehmann, Marco M.; Gamarra, Bruno; Kahmen, Ansgar; et al.
PLANT CELL AND ENVIRONMENT, 40 (8): 1658-1670 DOI: 10.1111/pce.12974 AUG 2017
- Application of Mycorrhiza and Soil from a Permaculture System Improved Phosphorus Acquisition in Naranjilla
Symanczik, Sarah; Gisler, Michelle; Thonar, Cecile; Schlaeppi, K; Van der Heijden, M; Kahmen, A; Boller, T; Mader, P
FRONTIERS IN PLANT SCIENCE, 8: DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2017.01263 JUL 19 2017
- The responses of plants and ecosystems to environmental change
- Biological archives as long-term indicators for the effects of environmental change on plants and ecosystems
- The effects of plant diversity for ecosystem functions
- Competition and complementary use of nutrients by plants and microbes
- Development of stable isotope tools for ecological research
- The stable isotope composition of plant-derived biomarkers for paleohydrological research