Conceptual overview on the impact of plant water availability on physiological, biochemical, and structural adaptation mechanisms, and remote sensing technology sensitive to such plant adaptation mechanisms.
© Damm et al. 2018. Remote Sensing of Plant-Water Relations: An overview and future perspectives. Journal of Plant Physiology, 227, 3-19.
The autonomous fluorescence spectrometer system FLOX installed on top of the Lägeren eddy flux tower. © (Eugenie Paul Limoges, 2018)
Zurich and its surrounding seen from an airplane during the acquisition of APEX imaging spectroscopy data over RSWS test sites. © (Andreas Hueni, 2015)
Remote sensing of plant-water relations
Global environmental change causes variable pattern of the gas and energy exchange within terrestrial ecosystems. In the remote sensing of water systems group, we investigate how a changing environment impacts the functioning of vegetation ecosystems and focus on related consequences for the terrestrial water cycle. We develop and apply field, airborne, and space borne imaging spectroscopy techniques to extract novel informative priors of plant photosynthesis, including sun-induced chlorophyll fluorescence, and other key environmental variables driving plant-water relations in vegetation ecosystems. The combination of these remote sensing techniques with principles of ecohydrology and soil-plant-atmosphere-continuum (SPAC) based process modeling allows us to assess spatio-temporal fields of water storage and flow in the soli-vegetation-atmosphere system. We are further interested how environmental change impacts the relation between plant transpiration and gross primary productivity to better constrain estimates of water use efficiency in agricultural and natural ecosystems.
- Remote sensing of forest gas exchange: Considerations derived from a tomographic perspective
Damm, Alexander; Paul-Limoges, Eugenie; Kuekenbrink, Daniel; Bachofen, Christoph; Morsdorf, Felix
Global Change Biology 10.1111/gcb.15007 FEB 2020
- The High-Performance Airborne Imaging Spectrometer HyPlant-From Raw Images to Top-of-Canopy Reflectance and Fluorescence Products: Introduction of an Automatized Processing Chain
Siegmann, Bastian; Alonso, Luis; Celesti, Marco; Cogliati, Sergio; Colombo, Roberto; et al.
Remote Sensing 11(23) Article Number: 2760 DOI: 10.3390/rs11232760 DEC 1 2019
- Remote sensing of solar-induced chlorophyll fluorescence (SIF) in vegetation: 50 years of progress
Mohammed, GH; Colombo, R; Middleton, EM; Rascher, U; van der Tol, C; Nedbal, L; Goulas, Y; Perez-Priego, O; Damm, A; Meroni, M; Joiner, J; Cogliati, S; Verhoef, W; Malenovsky, Z; Gastellu-Etchegorry, JP; Miller, JR; Guanter, L; Moreno, J; Moya, I; Berry, JA; Frankenberg, C;
REMOTE SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT, 231 10.1016/j.rse.2019.04.030 SEP 15 2019
- Using reflectance to explain vegetation biochemical and structural effects on sun-induced chlorophyll fluorescence
Yang, PQ; van der Tol, C; Verhoef, W; Damm, A; Schickling, A; Kraska, T; Muller, O; Rascher, U
REMOTE SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT, 231 10.1016/j.rse.2018.11.039 SEP 15 2019
- Downscaling of solar-induced chlorophyll fluorescence from canopy level to photosystem level using a random forest model
Liu, XJ; Guanter, L; Liu, LY; Damm, A; Malenovsky, Z; Rascher, U; Peng, DL; Du, SS; Gastellu-Etchegorry, JP
REMOTE SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT, 231 10.1016/j.rse.2018.05.035 SEP 15 2019
- Hyplant-Derived Sun-Induced Fluorescence-A New Opportunity to Disentangle Complex Vegetation Signals from Diverse Vegetation Types
Bandopadhyay, S; Rastogi, A; Rascher, U; Rademske, P; Schickling, A; Cogliati, S; Julitta, T; Mac Arthur, A; Hueni, A; Tomelleri, E; Celesti, M; Burkart, A; Strozecki, M; Sakowska, K; Gabka, M; Rosadzinski, S; Sojka, M; Iordache, MD; Reusen, I; Van der Tol, C; Damm, A; Schuettemeyer, D; Juszczak, R
REMOTE SENSING, 11 (14):10.3390/rs11141691 JUL 2 2019
- Ecosystem service change caused by climatological and non-climatological drivers: a Swiss case study
Braun, D; de Jong, R; Schaepman, ME; Furrer, R; Hein, L; Kienast, F; Damm, A
ECOLOGICAL APPLICATIONS, 29 (4):10.1002/eap.1901 JUN 2019
- Mapping the Irradiance Field of a Single Tree: Quantifying Vegetation-Induced Adjacency Effects
Kukenbrink, D; Hueni, A; Schneider, FD; Damm, A; Gastellu-Etchegorry, JP; Schaepman, ME; Morsdorf, F
IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON GEOSCIENCE AND REMOTE SENSING, 57 (7):4994-5011; 10.1109/TGRS.2019.2895211 JUL 2019
- Effect of environmental conditions on sun-induced fluorescence in a mixed forest and a cropland
Paul-Limoges, E; Damm, A; Hueni, A; Liebisch, F; Eugster, W; Schaepman, ME; Buchmann, N
REMOTE SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT, 219 310-323; 10.1016/j.rse.2018.10.018 DEC 15 2018
- Advancing retrievals of surface reflectance and vegetation indices over forest ecosystems by combining imaging spectroscopy, digital object models, and 3D canopy modelling.
Fawcett, Dominic; Verhoef, W; Schläpfer, Daniel; Schneider, Fabian D; Schaepman, Michael E; Damm, Alexander
Remote Sensing of Environment, 204:583-595. 2018
- Spatio-temporal trends and trade-offs in ecosystem services: An Earth observation based assessment for Switzerland between 2004 and 2014.
Braun, Daniela; Damm, Alexander; Hein, Lars; Petchey, Owen L; Schaepman, Michael E
Ecological Indicators, 89:828-839 2018
- Variability of sun-induced chlorophyll fluorescence according to stand age-related processes in a managed loblolly pine forest
Colombo, Roberto; Celesti, Marco; Bianchi, Remo; Campbell, Petya K E; Cogliati, Sergio; Cook, Bruce D; Corp, Lawrence A; Damm, Alexander; Domec, Jean-Christophe; Guanter, Luis; Julitta, Tommaso; Middleton, Elizabeth M; Noormets, Asko; Panigada, Cinzia; Pinto, Francisco; Rascher, Uwe; Rossini, Micol; Schickling, Anke
Global Change Biology, 24(7):2980-2996. (2018).
- Remote sensing of plant-water relations: An overview and future perspectives
Damm, Alexander; Paul-Limoges, Eugénie; Haghighi, Erfan; Simmer, Clemens; Morsdorf, Felix; Schneider, Fabian D; van der Tol, Christiaan; Migliavacca, Mirco; Rascher, Uwe
Journal of Plant Physiology, 227:3-19.
- Measurement of sun-induced chlorophyll fluorescence from leaf to ecosystem level
- Remote sensing of plant photosynthesis
- Modelling of plant transpiration and carbon assimilation using Earth observation data and process models
- Assessment of plant functional traits and their dynamics under environmental change
- Landscapes of gas and energy exchange
- Combination of measurements of light interactions and gas exchange
- Carbon and water cycle research
- Plant mediated ecosystem services
- Sustainability of water use