Forage crop genetics
Forage Crop Genetics
The implemented Forage Crop Genetics group mainly aims at developing genetic and genomic tools that can assist plant breeding. Recent technical advancements have enabled to characterize the genetic diversity that is available for plant breeding at high resolution and allow more efficient selection based on single DNA markers or high-density genome profiles. This “molecular breeding” approach, a non-GMO strategy to increase breeding progress in crop species, is a sustainable way to improve plant productivity.
As a specific example, our efforts to characterize genetic mechanisms such as self-incompatibility or cytoplasmic male sterility increased our understanding of how to use these mechanisms as breeding tools to efficiently control pollination in forage crops. Management of these genetic mechanisms in practical breeding by means of molecular markers will help pave the way towards the implementation of more efficient hybrid breeding schemes in forage grass species. On a long-term perspective, our research will contribute to sustainable feed and food production on both the local and global level.
- Assessing Short-Term Impacts of Management Practices on N2O Emissions From Diverse Mediterranean Agricultural Ecosystems Using a Biogeochemical Model
Deng, J; Li, CS; Burger, M; Horwath, WR; Smart, D; Six, J; Guo, L; Salas, W; Frolking, S
JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-BIOGEOSCIENCES, 123 (5):1557-1571; 10.1029/2017JG004260 MAY 2018
- Role of Soil Erosion in Biogeochemical Cycling of Essential Elements: Carbon, Nitrogen, and Phosphorus
Berhe AA; Barnes RT; Six J; Marin-Spiotta E; Jeanloz R; Freeman KH (Ed.)
ANNUAL REVIEW OF EARTH AND PLANETARY SCIENCES, VOL 46, 46 521-548; 10.1146/annurev-earth-082517-010018 2018
- Genetic Loci Governing Androgenic Capacity in Perennial Ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.)
Begheyn, Rachel F.; Yates, Steven A.; Sykes, Timothy; Studer, Bruno
G3-GENES GENOMES GENETICS, 8 (6):1897-1908; 10.1534/g3.117.300550 JUN 2018
- Fine mapping a self-fertility locus in perennial ryegrass
Do Canto, J; Studer, B; Frei, U; Lubberstedt, T
THEORETICAL AND APPLIED GENETICS, 131 (4):817-827; 10.1007/s00122-017-3038-6 APR 2018
- Genetic Diversity of Diurnal Carbohydrate Accumulation in White Clover (Trifolium repens L.)
Ruckle, Michael E.; Bernasconi, Lucia; Kolliker, Roland; Zeeman, Samuel C.; Studer, Bruno
AGRONOMY-BASEL, 8 (4): https://doi.org/10.3390/agronomy8040047 APR 2018
- DArT, SNP, and SSR analyses of genetic diversity in Lolium perenne L. using bulk sampling
Liu, Siyang; Feuerstein, Ulf; Luesink, Wilbert; et al.
BMC GENETICS, 19: JAN 22 2018 Article (Details)
- Multifunctional benefits of sainfoin mixtures: Effects of partner species, sowing density and cutting regime
Malisch, C. S.; Suter, D.; Studer, B.; et al.
GRASS AND FORAGE SCIENCE, 72 (4): 794-805 DEC 2017 Article (Details)
- Auxin Binding Protein 1 Reinforces Resistance to Sugarcane Mosaic Virus in Maize
Leng, Pengfei; Ji, Qing; Asp, Torben; et al.
MOLECULAR PLANT, 10 (10): 1357-1360 OCT 9 2017 Letter (Details)
- Inheritance patterns of the response to in vitro doubled haploid induction in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.)
Begheyn, Rachel F.; Roulund, Niels; Vangsgaard, Kirsten; et al.
PLANT CELL TISSUE AND ORGAN CULTURE, 130 (3): 667-679 SEP 2017 Article (Details)
- A Novel Multivariate Approach to Phenotyping and Association Mapping of Multi-Locus Gametophytic Self-Incompatibility Reveals S, Z, and Other Loci in a Perennial Ryegrass (Poaceae) Population
Thorogood, Daniel; Yates, Steven; Manzanares, Chloe; et al.
FRONTIERS IN PLANT SCIENCE, 8: AUG 2 2017 Article (Details)
- Molecular Breeding
- Genetics and Genomics
- Forage Crops
- Cytoplasmic male sterility
- Doubled Haploids
- Plant Breeding
- Genetic Diversity
- Genotyping Technologies
- Genome Wide Association Studies
- Genomic Selection