Plant growth and phenotyping
More versatile and efficient crop production systems require an in-depth understanding of dynamic plant growth processes. Novel time-lapse imaging procedures acting at different spatial and temporal scales are core elements of the toolbox of our interdisciplinary team. In climate chambers, greenhouses and field sites, we apply visual, near-infrared and thermal imaging to quantify shoot and root architecture, dynamic and short-term growth processes as well as photosynthesis, gas exchange and compound composition of major and alternative crops alike.
These ‘phenotyping’ analyses, in concert with a range of approaches from plant ecophysiology, breeding and molecular analysis, will help elucidating plant genotypes and crop production systems that are optimized to regionally differing ecological niches. Moreover, they will facilitate an improved understanding of basic rules governing plant-environment-management interactions. This in turn is a necessary prerequisite to ameliorate the knowledge transfer between lab and field as well as between plant biology and agricultural sciences.
- Temporal trends in canopy temperature and greenness are potential indicators of late-season drought avoidance and functional stay-green in wheat
Anderegg, Jonas; Aasen, Helge; Perich, Gregor; Roth, Lukas; Walter, Achim; Hund, Andreas
Field Crops Research 10.1016/j.fcr.2021.108311 DEC 1 2021
- Building an Aerial-Ground Robotics System for Precision Farming An Adaptable Solution
Pretto, Alberto; Aravecchia, Stephanie; Burgard, Wolfram; Chebrolu, Nived; Dornhege, Christian; et al.
Ieee Robotics & Automation Magazine 10.1109/MRA.2020.3012492 SEP 2021
- Crop Nitrogen Retrieval Methods for Simulated Sentinel-2 Data Using In-Field Spectrometer Data
Perich, Gregor; Aasen, Helge; Verrelst, Jochem; Argento, Francesco; Walter, Achim; Liebisch, Frank
Remote Sensing 10.3390/rs13122404 JUN 2021
- Temperature response of wheat affects final height and the timing of stem elongation under field conditions
Kronenberg, Lukas; Yates, Steven; Boer, Martin P.; Kirchgessner, Norbert; Walter, Achim; Hund, Andreas
Journal Of Experimental Botany 10.1093/jxb/eraa471 FEB 2 2021
- Soil structure recovery following compaction: Short-term evolution of soil physical properties in a loamy soil
Keller, Thomas; Colombi, Tino; Ruiz, Siul; Schymanski, Stanislaus J.; Weisskopf, Peter; et al.
Soil Science Society Of America Journal 10.1002/saj2.20240 JUL 2021
- Evaluation of Image-Based Phenotyping Methods for Measuring Water Yam (Dioscorea alata L.) Growth and Nitrogen Nutritional Status under Greenhouse and Field Conditions
Frossard, Emmanuel; Liebisch, Frank; Hgaza, Valerie Kouame; Kiba, Delwende Innocent; Kirchgessner, Norbert; Mueller, Laurin; Mueller, Patrick; Pouya, Nestor; Ringger, Cecil; Walter, Achim
Agronomy-basel, 10.3390/agronomy11020249 FEB 2021
- Repeated Multiview Imaging for Estimating Seedling Tiller Counts of Wheat Genotypes Using Drones
Roth, L; Camenzind, M; Aasen, H; Kronenberg, L; Barendregt, C; Camp, KH; Walter, A; Kirchgessner, N; Hund, A
Plant Phenomics 10.34133/2020/3729715 2020
- Rethinking temperature effects on leaf growth, gene expression and metabolism: Diel variation matters
Kronenberg, Lukas; Yates, Steven; Ghiasi, Shiva; Roth, Lukas; Friedli, Michael; Ruckle, Michael E; Werner, Roland A; Tschurr, Flavian; Binggeli, Melanie; Buchmann, Nina; Studer, Bruno; Walter, Achim
Plant Cell And Environment DOI: 10.1111/pce.13958 DEC 2020
- PhenoCams for Field Phenotyping: Using Very High Temporal Resolution Digital Repeated Photography to Investigate Interactions of Growth, Phenology, and Harvest Traits
Aasen, Helge; Kirchgessner, Norbert; Walter, Achim; Liebisch, Frank
Frontiers In Plant Science DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2020.00593 2020
- Site-specific nitrogen management in winter wheat supported by low-altitude remote sensing and soil data
Argento, F.; Anken, T.; Abt, F.; Vogelsanger, E.; Walter, A.; et al.
Precision Agriculture DOI: 10.1007/s11119-020-09733-3 JUN 2020
- The platformGrowScreen-Agarenables identification of phenotypic diversity in root and shoot growth traits of agar grown plants
Nagel, Kerstin A.; Lenz, Henning; Kastenholz, Bernd; Gilmer, Frank; Averesch, Andreas; et al.
Plant Methods DOI: 10.1186/s13007-020-00631-3 Published: JUN 23 2020
- Status quo of adoption of precision agriculture enabling technologies in Swiss plant production
Groher, Tanja; Heitkaemper, Katja; Walter, Achim; Liebisch, Frank; Umstaetter, Christina
Precision Agriculture DOI: 10.1007/s11119-020-09723-5 Published: DEC 2020
- Assessment of Multi-Image Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Based High-Throughput Field Phenotyping of Canopy Temperature
Perich, Gregor; Hund, Andreas; Anderegg, Jonas; Roth, Lukas; Boer, Martin P.; et al.
Frontiers In Plant Science DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2020.00150 Published: FEB 25 2020
- Spectral Vegetation Indices to Track Senescence Dynamics in Diverse Wheat Germplasm
Anderegg, Jonas; Yu, Kang; Aasen, Helge; Walter, Achim; Liebisch, Frank; Hund, Andreas
Frontiers In Plant Science 10 Article Number: 1749 DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2019.01749 JAN 28 2020
- Effect of species identity and diversity on biomass production and its stability in cover crop mixtures
Wendling, Marina; Charles, Raphael; Herrera, Juan; Amosse, Camille; Jeangros, Bernard; et al.
Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, DOI: 10.1016/j.agee.2019.04.032, SEP 1 2019
Prof. Dr. Achim Walter
Institute of Agricultural Sciences
Tel: +41 (0)44 632 32 72
- Root and leaf growth analysis
- Plant Breeding
- Biotic and Abiotic Stress
- Primary and Secondary Metabolism
- Image Processing
- Plant Insect Interactions
- Global Change Biology