Evolutionary genetics and reproductive isolation in wild tomatoes
Plant Evolutionary Genetics
My long-term research encompasses large-scale sequencing studies to address questions in molecular evolution, demographic history and the impact of mating system differences, using cultivated tomatoes and their wild relatives (Solanum section Lycopersicon) as a model system. Moreover, in collaboration with a large network of tomato genome biologists, we have contributed to analyses of the domestication history of the cultivated tomato, a commercially important crop.
My group also studies postzygotic reproductive isolation among species of wild tomatoes, taking advantage of the variable proportion of hybrid seed failure among different pairs of taxa. Specifically, we are interested in (possibly disturbed) genomic imprinting and other epigenetic phenomena as an avenue to evaluate their potential involvement in hybrid seed failure. To these ends, we employ controlled crosses in the greenhouse, laser-assisted microdissection of different seed components, and high-throughput transcriptome sequencing.
- Wild tomato endosperm transcriptomes reveal common roles of genomic imprinting in both nuclear and cellular endosperm
Morgane Roth, Ana M. Florez‐Rueda, Margot Paris, Thomas Städler
The Plant Journal 95(6) · June 2018 https://doi.org/10.1111/tpj.14012
- Incidence and developmental timing of endosperm failure in post-zygotic isolation between wild tomato lineages
Morgane Roth, Ana M Florez-Rueda, Stephan Griesser, Margot Paris, Thomas Städler
Annals of Botany, Volume 121, Issue 1, Pages 107–118, 25 January 2018, https://doi.org/10.1093/aob/mcx133
- Genomic Imprinting in the Endosperm Is Systematically Perturbed in Abortive Hybrid Tomato Seeds
Florez-Rueda, Ana M.; Paris, Margot; Schmidt, Anja; et al.
MOLECULAR BIOLOGY AND EVOLUTION, 33 (11): 2935-2946, 10.1093/molbev/msw175 NOV 2016
- Genomic analyses provide insights into the history of tomato breeding
Lin T, Zhu G, Zhang J et al.
NATURE GENETICS, 46 (11): 1220-1226, 10.1038/ng.3117 2014
- A genomic variation map provides insights into the genetic basis of cucumber domestication and diversity
Qi, Jianjian; Liu, Xin; Shen, Di; et al.
Nature Genetics, 45 (12): , 10.1038/ng.2801 DEC 2013
- Testing for "Snowballing" Hybrid Incompatibilities in Solanum: Impact of Ancestral Polymorphism and Divergence Estimates
Staedler, Thomas; Florez-Rueda, Ana Marcela; Paris, Margot
MOLECULAR BIOLOGY AND EVOLUTION, 29 (1): 31-34, 10.1093/molbev/msr218 JAN 2012
- Evolution of self-compatibility in Arabidopsis by a mutation in the male specificity gene
Tsuchimatsu, T; Suwabe, K; Shimizu-Inatsugi, R; et al.
NATURE 464 (7293): 1342-U2, 10.1038/nature08927 APR 2010
- Plant evolutionary genetics
- Speciation and reproductive isolation
- Plant mating system evolution
- Genomic imprinting
- Molecular evolution
- Ultra-high throughput sequencing
- Evolution of genomic imprinting
- Adaptation and speciation