Evolutionary genomics and ecology of macro- and microevolutionary transitions
Our group is fascinated by the diversity and evolution of living organisms, populations and ecological systems. Our primary goal is to understand the basic principles underlying both macro- and microevolutionary changes using plants as model organisms. In particular, our interest extends over several fields of plant biology, including ecology, population genomics, molecular evolution, evo-devo, systematics and comparative genomics with special attention to basal groups of land plants. We combine field-based ecological and lab-based molecular/reverse genetic approaches including computationally intensive modeling and genome analysis to understand evolutionary processes both at the macro- and microevolutionary scales.
- CLAVATA Was a Genetic Novelty for the Morphological Innovation of 3D Growth in Land Plants
Whitewoods, CD; Cammarata, J; Venza, ZN; Sang, S; Crook, AD; Aoyama, T; Wang, XY; Waller, M; Kamisugi, Y; Cuming, AC; Szovenyi, P; Nimchuk, ZL; Roeder, AHK; Scanlon, MJ; Harrison, CJ
CURRENT BIOLOGY, 28 (15):2365-+; 10.1016/j.cub.2018.05.068 AUG 6 2018
- The Physcomitrella patens gene atlas project: large-scale RNA-seq based expression data
Perroud, PF; Haas, FB; Hiss, M; Ullrich, KK; Alboresi, A; Amirebrahimi, M; Barry, K; Bassi, R; Bonhomme, S; Chen, HD; Coates, JC; Fujita, T; Guyon-Debast, A; Lang, D; Lin, JY; Lipzen, A; Nogue, F; Oliver, MJ; de Leon, IP; Quatrano, RS; Rameau, C; Reiss, B; Reski, R; Ricca, M; Saidi, Y; Sun, N; Szovenyi, P; Sreedasyam, A; Grimwood, J; Stacey, G; Schmutz, J; Rensing, SA
PLANT JOURNAL, 95 (1):168-182; 10.1111/tpj.13940 JUL 2018
- The Sphagnome Project: enabling ecological and evolutionary insights through a genus-level sequencing project
Weston, David J.; Turetsky, Merritt R.; Johnson, Matthew G.; et al.
NEW PHYTOLOGIST, 217 (1): 16-25 JAN 2018 10.1111/nph.14860
- How Do Cold-Adapted Plants Respond to Climatic Cycles? Interglacial Expansion Explains Current Distribution and Genomic Diversity in Primula farinosa L.
Theodoridis, Spyros; Randin, Christophe; Szovenyi, Peter; et al.
SYSTEMATIC BIOLOGY, 66 (5): 715-736, 10.1093/sysbio/syw114 SEP 2017
- Selfing in Haploid Plants and Efficacy of Selection: Codon Usage Bias in the Model Moss Physcomitrella patens
Szovenyi, Peter; Ullrich, Kristian K.; Rensing, Stefan A.; et al.
GENOME BIOLOGY AND EVOLUTION, 9 (6): 1528-1546 JUN 2017 Article (Details)
- Divergent evolution and niche differentiation within the common peatmoss Sphagnum magellanicum
Yousefi, Narjes; Hassel, Kristian; Flatberg, Kjell Ivar; et al.
AMERICAN JOURNAL OF BOTANY, 104 (7): 1060-1072 JUL 2017 Article (Details)
- A fern AINTEGUMENTA gene mirrors BABY BOOM in promoting apogamy in Ceratopteris richardii
Bui, Linh T.; Pandzic, Dzevida; Youngstrom, Christopher E.; et al.
PLANT JOURNAL, 90 (1): 122-132 APR 2017 Article (Details)
- The evolution of life cycle transitions in plants
- The evolution of the land plant sporophyte
- The effect of ploidy on evolutionary processes
- Sex chromosome evolution and sex determination in haploid dioecy
- The genetics and epigenetics of inbreeding and outbreeding depression
- Genomic imprinting in plants lacking endosperm
- Comparative evolutionary developmental biology
- Evolutionary genomics
- Adaptation to changing climate
- Evolutionary transcriptomics
- Breeding system evolution