An integrative phylogenetic approach to elucidate the evolution of plant diversity
The fundamental goal of my research is to understand the evolution of plant diversity. To achieve this goal, I integrate different aspects of plant evolutionary biology into a phylogenetic framework. My research includes a range of experimental approaches, from the collection and observation of species in the field to the generation of molecular cytogenetic and DNA-based data. My main research projects include:
- Evolution of breeding systems, biogeography, and polyploidy in the arctic/alpine genus Primula. This project focuses on elucidating the transitions between homostyly-heterostyly and diploidy-polyploidy in response to Pleistocene climate changes;
- Testing the out-of-India origin of selected plant families by using molecular dating approaches. This is mainly a biogeographic project aimed at assessing the congruence between phylogenetic and geologic patterns centered around the role of the Indian plate in biotic exchanges;
- Elucidating the origins of Mediterranean biodiversity with molecular phylogenetic and dating methods: the biogeographic history of the Corso-Sardinian flora;
- Phylogenetic relationships and genetic diversity of Saxifraga florulenta, a rare species endemic to the Maritime Alps.
- A General Model for Estimating Macroevolutionary Landscapes
Boucher, FC; Demery, V; Conti, E; Harmon, LJ; Uyeda, J
SYSTEMATIC BIOLOGY, 67 (2):304-319; https://doi.org/10.1093/sysbio/syx075 MAR 2018
- Mixed mating in homostylous species: genetic and experimental evidence from an alpine plant with variable herkogamy, Primula halleri
de Vos, Jurriaan M; Keller, Barbara; Zhang, Li-Rui; Nowak, Michael D; Conti, Elena
INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PLANT SCIENCES, 179 (2): 87-99, 10.1086/695527 FEB 2018 Article (Details)
- Forecasting range shifts of a cold-adapted species under climate change: Are genomic and ecological diversity within species crucial for future resilience?
Theodoridis1 S, Patsiou1 TS, Randin C, Conti E.
Ecography, DOI: 10.1111/ecog.03346 2017.
- How Do Cold-Adapted Plants Respond to Climatic Cycles? Interglacial Expansion Explains Current Distribution and Genomic Diversity in Primula farinosa L.
Theodoridis, Spyros; Randin, Christophe; Szovenyi, Peter; Boucher, FC; Patsiou, TS; Conti, E
SYSTEMATIC BIOLOGY, 66 (5): 715-736, 10.1093/sysbio/syw114 SEP 2017
- The contribution of cold air pooling to the distribution of a rare and endemic plant of the Alps
Patsiou, TS; Conti, E; Theodoridis, S; Randin, CF
Plant Ecology & Diversity, 10:1, 29-42, DOI: 10.1080/17550874.2017.1302997 2017
- Selfing in Haploid Plants and Efficacy of Selection: Codon Usage Bias in the Model Moss Physcomitrella patens
Szovenyi, Peter; Ullrich, Kristian K.; Rensing, Stefan A.; et al.
GENOME BIOLOGY AND EVOLUTION, 9 (6): 1528-1546 https://doi.org/10.1093/gbe/evx098 JUN 2017
- Visions of the past and dreams of the future in the Orient: the Irano-Turanian region from classical botany to evolutionary studies
Manafzadeh, Sara; Staedler, Yannick M.; Conti, Elena
BIOLOGICAL REVIEWS, 92 (3): 1365-1388 AUG 2017 Article (Details)
- Fossils matter: improved estimates of divergence times in Pinus reveal older diversification
Saladin, Bianca; Leslie, Andrew B.; Wueest, Rafael O.; et al.
EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY, 17 (95) APR 2017 Article (Details)
- Plant breeding systems
- Evolution of polyploidy
- Molecular dating
- Molecular cytogenetics (chromosome painting)
- Molecular biological control of the heterostyly supergene
- Comparative morphological development of homostylous and heterostylous flowers
- Paleoclimatic and paleogeographic reconstruction