Phosphorus and nitrogen (re-)cycling in agro-ecosystems
Globally food demand is increasing while natural resources are shrinking. Human alterations of nutrient cycles are a major cause of global change, through adverse effects on water bodies, atmosphere, climate and biodiversity in terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems. Our research is therefore dedicated to the phosphorus (P) and nitrogen (N) (re-)cycling in agro-ecosystems of the temperate and tropical zone with the overall goal to maximize the use efficiency of nutrients by crops while minimizing adverse effects to the environment. We are experts on the use of stable and radio-active isotope techniques to study P and N fluxes in soil-plant systems.
- Predicting Phosphate Release from Sewage Sludge Ash Using an Ion Sink Assay
Nanzer, S; Oberson, A; Eggenberger, U; Frossard, E
JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY, 48 (3):746-754; 10.2134/jeq2018.11.0394 MAY-JUN 2019
- Residual phosphorus availability after long-term soil application of organic waste
Lemming, C; Oberson, A; Magid, J; Bruun, S; Scheutz, C; Frossard, E; Jensen, LS
AGRICULTURE ECOSYSTEMS & ENVIRONMENT, 270 65-75; 10.1016/j.agee.2018.10.009 FEB 1 2019
- Pseudomonas protegens CHA0 does not increase phosphorus uptake from P-33 labeled synthetic hydroxyapatite by wheat grown on calcareous soil
Meyer, G; Maurhofer, M; Frossard, E; Gamper, HA; Mader, P; Meszaros, E; Schonholzer-Mauclaire, L; Symanczik, S; Oberson, A
SOIL BIOLOGY & BIOCHEMISTRY, 131 217-228; 10.1016/j.soilbio.2019.01.015 APR 2019
- Above- and belowground nitrogen distribution of a red clover-perennial ryegrass sward along a soil nutrient availability gradient established by organic and conventional cropping systems
Hammelehle, Andreas; Oberson, Astrid; Luscher, Andreas; Mader, Paul; Mayer, Jochen
PLANT AND SOIL, 425 (1-2):507-525; 10.1007/s11104-018-3559-z APR 2018
- The contribution of Stylosanthes guianensis to the nitrogen cycle in a low input legume-rice rotation under conservation agriculture
Zemek, O; Frossard, E; Scopel, E; Oberson, A
PLANT AND SOIL, 425 (1-2):553-576; 10.1007/s11104-018-3602-0 APR 2018
- Water soluble phosphate fertilizers for crops grown in calcareous soils - an outdated paradigm for recycled phosphorus fertilizers?
Meyer, G; Frossard, E; Mader, P; Nanzer, S; Randall, DG; Udert, KM; Oberson, A.
PLANT AND SOIL, 424 (1-2):367-388; SI 10.1007/s11104-017-3545-x MAR 2018
- Phosphorus availability on many organically managed farms in Europe
Cooper, Julia; Reed, Eleanor Y.; Hortenhuber, Stefan; et al.
NUTRIENT CYCLING IN AGROECOSYSTEMS, 110 (2): 227-239 MAR 2018
- Improved Phosphorus Recycling in Organic Farming: Navigating Between Constraints
Moller, K; Oberson, A; Bunemann, EK; Cooper, J; Friedel, JK; Glaesner, N; Hortenhuber, S; Loes, AK; Mader, P; Meyer, G; Muller, T; Symanczik, S; Weissengruber, L; Wollmann, I; Magid, J
ADVANCES IN AGRONOMY, VOL 147, 147 159-237; 10.1016/bs.agron.2017.10.004 2018
- Phosphorus cycling within soil aggregate fractions of a highly weathered tropical soil: A conceptual model
Garland, Gina; Bunemann, EK; Oberson, A; et al.
SOIL BIOLOGY & BIOCHEMISTRY, 116: 91-98 JAN 2018
- Plant-mediated rhizospheric interactions in maize-pigeon pea intercropping enhance soil aggregation and organic phosphorus storage
Garland Gina; Bunemann EK.; Oberson A; et al.
PLANT AND SOIL, 415 (1-2): 37-55 JUN 2017
- Microbially-mediated P fluxes in calcareous soils as a function of water-extractable phosphate
Schneider, Kimberley D; Voroney R Paul; Lynch Derek H; et al.
SOIL BIOLOGY & BIOCHEMISTRY, 106: 51-60 MAR 2017
- Gross phosphorus fluxes in a calcareous soil inoculated with Pseudomonas protegens CHA0 revealed by P-33 isotopic dilution
Meyer G; Bunemann EK; Frossard E; et al.
SOIL BIOLOGY & BIOCHEMISTRY, 104: 81-94 JAN 2017
- Nutrient use in organic farming, conservation agriculture and low input systems: specificities, potential and limitations.
- Use efficiency by plants of nutrients contained in animal manure, plant residues or recycling fertilizers.
- Microbial source-sink functions in the use of these nutrient sources and the impact of microorganisms on available nutrient pools in the soil.
- Interactions between phosphorus and nitrogen availability, including symbiotic di-nitrogen fixation by legume.
- Above- and belowground nitrogen input by legumes using 15N-enriched and natural abundance techniques.
- Soil microbiology
- Soil chemistry
- Crop Sciences
- Grassland Sciences
- Plant and microbial ecology
- Plant Physiology