Human-forest interface in subtropical and tropical regions – Forest management and development group (ForDev)
Forest fragmentation and degradation, pollution, the unsustainable use of natural resources and the spread of invasive species are a few of the many problems which threaten most tropical forest landscapes. But we also need to recognize that these complex landscapes also ensure the livelihood of rural populations and forest dwellers. Our research focuses on how to resolve the complex trade-offs between conservation and sustainable management of forest resources and agroforestry in transition and developing countries. In order for agricultural production to be compatible with biodiversity conservation and rural livelihoods in the tropics, we need to develop approaches that better recognize farmers’ aspirations, needs and constraints. We achieve that by developing research that focuses on (1) a better understanding of the complexities of social and ecological systems, (2) uses this understanding to develop narratives of alternative futures through participatory modelling and then (3) feeds these in the policy cycles to help decision making processes take better account of the aspirations of local communities and of the ecological processes that will be impacted by management.
- Opportunities for sustainable intensification of coffee agro-ecosystems along an altitudinal gradient on Mt. Elgon, Uganda
Rahn, E; Liebig, T; Ghazoul, J; van Asten, P; Laderach, P; Vaast, P; Sarmiento, A; Garcia, C; Jassogne, L
AGRICULTURE ECOSYSTEMS & ENVIRONMENT, 263 31-40; 10.1016/j.agee.2018.04.019 AUG 1 2018
- Games as Tools to Address Conservation Conflicts
Redpath, SM; Keane, A; Andren, H; Baynham-Herd, Z; Bunnefeld, N; Duthie, AB; Frank, J; Garcia, CA; Mansson, J; Nilsson, L; Pollard, CRJ; Rakotonarivo, OS; Salk, CF; Travers, H
TRENDS IN ECOLOGY & EVOLUTION, 33 (6):415-426; 10.1016/j.tree.2018.03.005 JUN 2018
- Role of Community and User Attributes in Collective Action: Case Study of Community-Based Forest Management in Nepal
Negi, S; Pham, TT; Karky, B; Garcia, C
FORESTS, 9 (3):10.3390/f9030136 MAR 2018
- Nesting sites of giant honeybees modulated by landscape patterns
Pavageau, C; Gaucherel, C; Garcia, C; Ghazoul, J
JOURNAL OF APPLIED ECOLOGY, 55 (3):1230-1240; https://doi.org/10.1111/1365-2664.13069 MAY 2018
- Perception of change: Narratives and strategies of farmers in Madagascar
Stoudmann, Natasha; Waeber, Patrick O.; Randriamalala, Ihoby H.; et al.
JOURNAL OF RURAL STUDIES, 56: 76-86 NOV 2017 Article (Details)
- Recovery of woody plant species richness in secondary forests in China: a meta-analysis
Liu, Xiaofei; Liu, Xuehua; Skidmore, Andrew; et al.
SCIENTIFIC REPORTS, 7: SEP 6 2017 Article (Details)
- Coffee monoculture trends in tropical agroforested landscapes of Western Ghats (India)
Gaucherel, C; Alet, J; Garcia, C
ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION, 44 (2): 183-190 JUN 2017
- A Critical Comparison of Conventional, Certified, and Community Management of Tropical Forests for Timber in Terms of Environmental, Economic, and Social Variables
Burivalova, Zuzana; Hua, Fangyuan; Koh, Lian Pin; et al.
CONSERVATION LETTERS, 10 (1): 4-14 JAN-APR 2017 Review (Details)
- Agroforestry coffee production increased by native shade trees, irrigation, and liming
Boreux, Virginie; Vaast, Philippe; Madappa, Lavin P.; et al.
AGRONOMY FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT, 36 (3): SEP 2016 Article (Details)
- Links between the environment and livelihood in tropical landscapes
- Tropical Ecology
- Community Ecology
- Conservation Ecology
- Participatory Modelling
- Merging Ecology, Sociology, Economy and Political Sciences
- Embedding multiple sources of knowledge (academic, expert, empirical)
- Cross cultural research