Striped cucumber beetles (Acalymma vittatum) feeding on wild gourd (Cucurbita pepos sp. texana). ©Nick Sloff (De Moraes & Mescher labs)
Parasitic plant (Cuscuta pentagona) growing towards tomato plants. The plant (dodder) uses volatile cues for host location. ©Jason Smith (De Moraes & Mescher labs)
Biocommunication & ecology
Chemistry plays a key role in mediating diverse ecological interactions among species, with important implications for agriculture, human health, and environmental sustainability. Our research program explores the ways in which chemical cues and signals mediate interactions among plants, insects, and microbes, with a primary focus on volatile chemistry and olfaction.
Key areas of interest include: (i) chemical mediation of tri-trophic interactions among plants, insect herbivores, and the herbivore's natural enemies; (ii) pathogen effects on host plant chemistry and implications for host-vector interactions and disease transmission; (iii) the influence of plant-associated microbes on plant interactions; and (iv) factors influencing inter-individual variation in plant chemistry and the evolution of plant signaling phenotypes.
- Transgenerational impacts of herbivory and inbreeding on reproductive output in Solanum carolinense
Nihranz, Chad T.; Walker, William S.; Brown, Steven J.; Mescher, Mark C.; De Moraes, Consuelo M.; et al.
American Journal Of Botany 107(2): 286-297 Special Issue: SI DOI: 10.1002/ajb2.1402 FEB 2020
- Variation in growth and defence traits among plant populations at different elevations: Implications for adaptation to climate change
Buckley, J; Widmer, A; Mescher, MC; De Moraes, CM
JOURNAL OF ECOLOGY, 107 (5):2478-2492; 10.1111/1365-2745.13171 SEP 2019
- Herbivory and inbreeding affect growth, reproduction, and resistance in the rhizomatous offshoots of Solanum carolinense (Solanaceae)
Nihranz, CT; Kolstrom, RL; Kariyat, RR; Mescher, MC; De Moraes, CM; Stephenson, AG
EVOLUTIONARY ECOLOGY, 33 (4):499-520; 10.1007/s10682-019-09997-w AUG 2019
- Divergent behavioural responses of gypsy moth (Lymantria dispar) caterpillars from three different subspecies to potential host trees
McCormick, AC; Arrigo, L; Eggenberger, H; Mescher, MC; De Moraes, CM
SCIENTIFIC REPORTS, 9 10.1038/s41598-019-45201-3 JUN 20 2019
- Sorghum 3-Deoxyanthocyanidin Flavonoids Confer Resistance against Corn Leaf Aphid
Kariyat, RR; Gaffoor, I; Sattar, S; Dixon, CW; Frock, N; Moen, J; De Moraes, CM; Mescher, MC; Thompson, GA; Chopra, S
JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL ECOLOGY, 45 (5-6):502-514; 10.1007/s10886-019-01062-8 JUN 2019
- Combined effects of mutualistic rhizobacteria counteract virus-induced suppression of indirect plant defences in soya bean
Pulido, H; Mauck, KE; De Moraes, CM; Mescher, MC
PROCEEDINGS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY B-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES, 286 (1903):10.1098/rspb.2019.0211 MAY 22 2019
- Costs of plant defense priming: exposure to volatile cues from a specialist herbivore increases short-term growth but reduces rhizome production in tall goldenrod (Solidago altissima)
Yip, EC; Tooker, JF; Mescher, MC; De Moraes, CM
BMC PLANT BIOLOGY, 19 10.1186/s12870-019-1820-0 MAY 21 2019
- Trade-offs between defenses against herbivores in goldenrod (Solidago altissima)
Yip, EC; Sowers, RP; Helms, AM; Mescher, MC; De Moraes, CM; Tooker, JF
ARTHROPOD-PLANT INTERACTIONS, 13 (2):279-287; SI 10.1007/s11829-019-09674-3 APR 2019
- A key floral scent component (-trans-bergamotene) drives pollinator preferences independently of pollen rewards in seep monkeyflower
Haber, AI; Sims, JW; Mescher, MC; De Moraes, CM; Carr, DE
FUNCTIONAL ECOLOGY, 33 (2):218-228; 10.1111/1365-2435.13246 FEB 2019
- Can we use human odors to diagnose malaria?
Stanczyk, NM; De Moraes, CM; Mescher, MC
FUTURE MICROBIOLOGY, 14 (1):5-9; 10.2217/fmb-2018-0312 JAN 2019
- Divergence in Glucosinolate Profiles between High- and Low-Elevation Populations of Arabidopsis halleri Correspond to Variation in Field Herbivory and Herbivore Behavioral Preferences
Buckley, James; Pashalidou, Foteini G.; Fischer, Martin C.; Widmer, Alex; Mescher, Mark C.; De Moraes, Consuelo M.
INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR SCIENCES, 20 (1): 10.3390/ijms20010174 JAN 1 2019