Networks of species interactions and biodiversity
We combine mathematical models, simulations, and data set analyses to address fundamental and applied questions in ecology. Our current major research interest focuses on the structure and dynamics of ecological networks. This complements main approaches to biodiversity research that neglect species interactions or assume these are homogeneously distributed. As an example, our application of network theory to the study of mutualisms among free-living species has provided a quantitative framework to address mutualistic interactions at the community level.
Our work has shown that these networks of mutual dependencies between plants and animals present general architectural patterns that maximize the number of coexisting species and increase the range of perturbations that can be withstood before one or more species goes extinct.
- The Impact of Mutualisms on Species Richness
Chomicki, G; Weber, M; Antonelli, A; Bascompte, J; Kiers, ET
TRENDS IN ECOLOGY & EVOLUTION, 34 (8):698-711; 10.1016/j.tree.2019.03.003 AUG 2019
- Nestedness in complex networks: Observation, emergence, and implications
Mariani, Manuel Sebastian; Ren, Zhuo-Ming; Bascompte, Jordi; et al.
PHYSICS REPORTS-REVIEW SECTION OF PHYSICS LETTERS, 813 1-90; 10.1016/j.physrep.2019.04.001 JUN 15 2019
- Mutualism and biodiversity
CURRENT BIOLOGY, 29 (11):R467-R470; 10.1016/j.cub.2019.03.062 JUN 3 2019
- Indigenous knowledge networks in the face of global change
Camara-Leret, Rodrigo; Fortuna, Miguel A.; Bascompte, Jordi
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 116(20): 9913-9918 10.1073/pnas.1821843116 MAY 14 2019
- Mutualistic interactions reshuffle the effects of climate change on plants across the tree of life
Bascompte, Jordi; Garcia, Maria B.; Ortega, Raul; et al.
SCIENCE ADVANCES Volume: 5 Issue: 5 Article Number: eaav2539 10.1126/sciadv.aav2539 MAY 2019
- Coevolutionary dynamics shape the structure of bacteria-phage infection networks
Fortuna, MA; Barbour, MA; Zaman, L; Hall, AR; Buckling, A; Bascompte, J
EVOLUTION, 73 (5):1001-1011; 10.1111/evo.13731 MAY 2019
- Plant interactions shape pollination networks via nonadditive effects
Losapio, G; Fortuna, MA; Bascompte, J; Schmid, B; Michalet, R; Neumeyer, R; Castro, L; Cerretti, P; Germann, C; Haenni, JP; Klopfstein, S; Ortiz-Sanchez, FJ; Pont, AC; Rousse, P; Schmid, J; Sommaggio, D; Schob, C
ECOLOGY, 100 (3):10.1002/ecy.2619 MAR 2019
- Ecological succession drives the structural change of seed-rodent interaction networks in fragmented forests
Yang, Xifu; Yan, Chuan; Zhao, Qingjian; Holyoak, Marcel; Fortuna, Miguel A; Bascompte, Jordi; Jansen, Patrick A; Zhang, Zhibin
FOREST ECOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT 419: 42-50 10.1016/j.foreco.2018.03.023 JUL 1 2018
- Comparing species interaction networks along environmental gradients
Pellissier, L; Albouy, C; Bascompte, J; Farwig, N; Graham, C; Loreau, M; Maglianesi, MA; Melian, CJ; Pitteloud, C; Roslin, T; Rohr, R; Saavedra, S; Thuiller, W; Woodward, G; Zimmermann, NE; Gravel, D
BIOLOGICAL REVIEWS, 93 (2):785-800; https://doi.org/10.1111/brv.12366 MAY 2018
- Thresholds in the resilience of modular social networks to invasion by defectors
Wechsler, Daniel; Bascompte, Jordi
JOURNAL OF THEORETICAL BIOLOGY, 460 56-63; 10.1016/j.jtbi.2018.10.018 JAN 7 2018
- Non-adaptive origins of evolutionary innovations increase network complexity in interacting digital organisms
Fortuna, Miguel A.; Zaman, Luis; Wagner, Andreas; et al.
PHILOSOPHICAL TRANSACTIONS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY B-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES, 372 (1735): DEC 5 2017
- Plant-animal mutualistic networks
- Food webs
- Metapopulations and metacommunities
- Integrating theory and experimental work
- Community-wide impacts of global environmental change
- Integrating ecology and evolution