Plants do not exist as sterile organisms but are populated by microorganisms both below (rhizosphere) and above the ground (phyllosphere). We are interested in a systems-level understanding of the phyllosphere with the aim to identify organizing principles of bacterial community members. We developed a cultivation-independent metaproteogenomic approach and applied it to phyllosphere communities of different host plants in planta in order to get an unbiased view on the overall bacterial community composition and in particular to identify abundant proteins as a proxy for important protein function of community members in the habitat.
Such analyses are paralleled by work using synthetic microbial communities colonizing Arabidopsis thaliana. We are testing indigenous commensal bacteria and their interaction with the foliar plant pathogen Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato DC3000 on the model plant and investigate underlying mechanisms of plant protection.
- Metaproteome/-genome analysis of microbial communities
- Synthetic bacterial communities
- Plant probiotics
- Identification of traits important for phyllosphere colonization
- General stress response in Alphaproteobacteria
- One carbon metabolism
► Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.ch/citations?hl=de&user=B2U54GAAAAAJ
- Resolving metabolic interaction mechanisms in plant microbiomes
AR Pacheco, JA Vorholt
Current Opinion in Microbiology 74, 102317 (2023)
- Live-seq enables temporal transcriptomic recording of single cells
W Chen, O Guillaume-Gentil, PY Rainer, CG Gäbelein, W Saelens, ...
Nature 608 (7924), 733–740
- Mapping phyllosphere microbiota interactions in planta to establish genotype-phenotype relationships
Schaefer, Martin; Vogel, Christine M.; Bortfeld-Miller, Miriam; Mittelviefhaus, Maximilian; Vorholt, Julia A.
Nature Microbiology 10.1038/s41564-022-01132-w JUN 2022
- Mass spectrometry-based approaches to study lanthanides and lanthanide-dependent proteins in the phyllosphere
Hemmerle, Lucas; Ochsner, Andrea M.; Vonderach, Thomas; Hattendorf, Bodo; Vorholt, Julia A.
Rare-earth Element Biochemistry: Methanol Dehydrogenases And Lanthanide Biology 10.1016/bs.mie.2021.01.006 2021
- Protective role of the Arabidopsis leaf microbiota against a bacterial pathogen
Vogel, Christine M.; Potthoff, Daniel B.; Schafer, Martin; Barandun, Niculo; Vorholt, Julia A.
Nature Microbiology 10.1038/s41564-021-00997-7 DEC 2021
- Capacity of soil bacteria to reach the phyllosphere and convergence of floral communities despite soil microbiota variation
Massoni, Julien; Bortfeld-Miller, Miriam; Widmer, Alex; Vorholt, Julia A.
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 10.1073/pnas.2100150118 OCT 12 2021
- Structural diversity of the coenzyme methylofuran and identification of enzymes for the biosynthesis of its polyglutamate side chain
Hemmann, Jethro L.; Bruehwiler, Manuel R.; Bortfeld-Miller, Miriam; Vorholt, Julia A.
Journal Of Biological Chemistry 10.1016/j.jbc.2021.100682 JAN-JUN 2021
- A general non-self response as part of plant immunity
Maier BA, Kiefer P, Field CM, Hemmerle L, Bortfeld-Miller M, Emmenegger B, Schäfer M, Pfeilmeier S, Sunagawa S, Vogel CM, and Vorholt JA.
Nature Plants 7: 696–705 (2021). doi: 10.1038/s41477-021-00913-1.
- The plant NADPH oxidase RBOHD is required for microbiota homeostasis in leaves.
Pfeilmeier S, Petti GC, Bortfeld-Miller M, Daniel B, Field CM, Sunagawa S, and Vorholt JA.
Nat Microbiol (2021). doi: 10.1038/s41564-021-00929-5.
- Bradyrhizobium diazoefficiens Requires Chemical Chaperones To Cope with Osmotic Stress during Soybean Infection
Ledermann, Raphael; Emmenegger, Barbara; Couzigou, Jean-Malo; Zamboni, Nicola; Kiefer, Patrick; et al.
Mbio 10.1128/mBio.00390-21 Published: MAR-APR 2021
- Methanol-dependent Escherichia coli strains with a complete ribulose monophosphate cycle
Keller, Philipp; Noor, Elad; Meyer, Fabian; Reiter, Michael A.; Anastassov, Stanislav; Kiefer, Patrick; Vorholt, Julia A
Nature Communications DOI: 10.1038/s41467-020-19235-5 OCT 26 2020
- Reciprocal growth control by competitive binding of nucleotide second messengers to a metabolic switch in Caulobacter crescentus
Shyp, Viktoriya; Dubey, Badri Nath; Bohm, Raphael; Hartl, Johannes; Nesper, Jutta; Vorholt, Julia A; Hiller, Sebastian; Schirmer, Tilman; Jenal, Urs
Nature Microbiology DOI: 10.1038/s41564-020-00809-4 NOV 2020
- Microbiome manipulation by a soil-borne fungal plant pathogen using effector proteins
Snelders, Nick C.; Rovenich, Hanna; Petti, Gabriella C.; Rocafort, Mercedes; van den Berg, Grardy C. M.; et al.
Nature Plants DOI: 10.1038/s41477-020-00799-5 Published: NOV 2020
Prof. Dr. Julia Vorholt
Institute of Microbiology
Tel: +41 (0)44 632 55 24
- Microbial community analyses
- Microscopy (FISH)
- Single cell manipulation using FluidFM technology