Oxygen isotope in phosphate, a new approach to study the soil/plant system
Phosphorus (P) is a major nutrient and an important constituent in cell membranes, DNA and RNA, and energy transporters. In most natural environments, inorganic orthophosphate is often limiting, P cycling and turnover are rapid, and organic compounds represents the main phosphate source to organisms.
We use a relatively new stable isotopic tracer, oxygen isotopes bound to phosphorus in phosphate to better understand the aspects of the P biogeochemical cycle which are still unclear, since many biological processes cannot be easily identified and quantified in natural settings. The O-P bond is highly stable at ambient temperature and in most environments on Earth, and only biological processes promote a significant change in the isotope signature of the phosphate.
In soil sciences, the use of δ18O-P is still in its infancy and relatively little has been published. We are working in optimizing existing preparation techniques for soil studies, combining sequential extraction of P to isotopic analysis. Our projects aim at characterizing and understand the processes influencing the isotopic signature in the soil and plants. We also work on the isotopic characterization of P sources in agricultural systems (plant residues, organic manure, mineral fertilizers) aiming at tracing them and assess their behavior in the environment.
- Phosphate oxygen isotope fingerprints of past biological activity in the Atacama Desert
Wang, Ye; Moradi, Ghazal; Klumpp, Erwin; von Sperber, Christian; Tamburini, Federica; et al.
Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta 10.1016/j.gca.2021.07.027 OCT 15 2021
- New Ag3PO4 comparison material for stable oxygen isotope analysis
Watzinger, Andrea; Schott, Katharina; Hood-Nowotny, Rebecca; Tamburini, Federica; Arppe, Laura; et al.
Rapid Communications In Mass Spectrometry 10.1002/rcm.9101 JUN 30 2021
- Cycling of reduced phosphorus compounds in soil and potential impacts of climate change
Kehler, Anchen; Haygarth, Philip; Tamburini, Federica; Blackwell, Martin
European Journal Of Soil Science 10.1111/ejss.13121 Early Access: MAY 2021
- Tracing uptake and translocation of phosphorus in wheat using oxygen isotopes and mathematical modelling
Bauke, Sara L.; Schnepf, Andrea; von Sperber, Christian; Orlowski, Natalie; Lewandowski, Hans; et al.
New Phytologist 10.1111/nph.17307 Published: JUN 2021
- A review of phosphate oxygen isotope values in global bedrocks: characterising a critical endmember to the soil phosphorus system
Smith, Andrew C.; Pfahler, Verena; Tamburini, Federica; Blackwell, Martin S. A.; Granger, Steven J.
Journal Of Plant Nutrition And Soil Science, 10.1002/jpln.202000513 FEB 2021
- Microspectroscopy reveals dust-derived apatite grains in acidic, highly-weathered Hawaiian soils
Vogel, Christian; Helfenstein, Julian; Massey, Michael S.; Sekine, Ryo; Kretzschmar, Ruben; et al.
Geoderma DOI: 10.1016/j.geoderma.2020.114681 JAN 1 2021
- Biogeochemical cycling of phosphorus in subsoils of temperate forest ecosystems
Rodionov, Andrei; Bauke, Sara L.; von Sperber, Christian; Hoeschen, Carmen; Kandeler, Ellen; et al.
Biogeochemistry DOI: 10.1007/s10533-020-00700-8 OCT 2020
- In or Out of Equilibrium? How Microbial Activity Controls the Oxygen Isotopic Composition of Phosphate in Forest Organic Horizons With Low and High Phosphorus Availability
Pistocchi, Chiara; Meszaros, Eva; Frossard, Emmanuel; Buenemann, E. K.; Tamburini, Federica
Frontiers In Environmental Science DOI: 10.3389/fenvs.2020.564778 SEP 29 2020
- A dual isotopic (P-32 and O-18) incubation study to disentangle mechanisms controlling phosphorus cycling in soils from a climatic gradient (Kohala, Hawaii)
Siegenthaler, Maja Barbara; Tamburini, Federica; Frossard, Emmanuel; Chadwick, Oliver; Vitousek, Peter; et al.
Soil Biology & Biochemistry DOI: 10.1016/j.soilbio.2020.107920 OCT 2020
- Changes of oxygen isotope values of soil P pools associated with changes in soil pH
Pfahler, Verena; Macdonald, Andy; Mead, Andrew; Smith, Andrew C.; Tamburini, Federica; et al.
Scientific Reports DOI: 10.1038/s41598-020-59103-2 FEB 7 2020
- Selenium accumulation and speciation in soils along a climate gradient
Tolu, J.; Bouchet, S.; Chekifi, S. D.; Hausheer, O.; Chadwick, O. A.; et al.
Selenium Research For Environment And Human Health: Perspectives, Technologies And Advancements, 67-68, 2020
- Estimates of mean residence times of phosphorus in commonly considered inorganic soil phosphorus pools
Helfenstein, Julian; Pistocchi, Chiara; Oberson, Astrid; Tamburini, Federica; Goll, Daniel S.; et al.
Biogeosciences, DOI: 10.5194/bg-17-441-2020, JAN 30 2020
Dr. Federica Tamburini
Institute of Agricultural Sciences
Tel: +41 (0)44 354 92 81
- Phosphorus cycle in the environment
- Isotopic tools (oxygen stable isotope in phosphate) in the soil/plant/water ecosystem
- Soil formation
- Sources and sinks of phosphorus in agricultural systems
- Plant physiology
- Enzymatic processes in soils