Transport of organic nitrogen in plants and parasitic protozoa
Molecular Plant Physiology
Nitrogen is one of the most limiting nutritional factors for plant growth and productivity. Therefore diverse and complex strategies have evolved for the uptake, assimilation and reallocation of nitrogen. Our research focuses on the role of plant transporters involved in the uptake as well as the intra- and intercellular distribution of organic nitrogen. We aim at exploring the biochemical properties of these transporters, their regulation and contribution to plant productivity and yield.
Furthermore, amino acid transport in parasitic protozoa and its role for parasite development and pathogenicity is being investigated.
- Stage-specific expression of the proline-alanine transporter in the human pathogen Leishmania
Liburkin-Dan, T; Schlisselberg, D; Fischer-Weinberger, R; Pescher, P; Inbar, E; Ephros, M; Rentsch, D; Spath, GF; Zilberstein, D
MOLECULAR AND BIOCHEMICAL PARASITOLOGY, 222 1-5; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molbiopara.2018.04.002 JUN 2018
- Transporters of Trypanosoma bruceiphylogeny, physiology, pharmacology
Schmidt, Remo S.; Macedo, Juan P.; Steinmann, Michael E.; et al.
FEBS JOURNAL 285(6): 1012-1023 10.1111/febs.14302 MAR 2018
- Identification and characterization of the three members of the CLC family of anion transport proteins in Trypanosoma brucei
Steinmann, Michael E.; Schmidt, Remo S.; Macedo, Juan P.; et al.
PLOS ONE, 12 (12): 10.1371/journal.pone.0188219 DEC 15 2017
- A Critical Role of AMT2;1 in Root-To-Shoot Translocation of Ammonium in Arabidopsis
Giehl, Ricardo F. H.; Laginha, Alberto M.; Duan, Fengying; et al.
MOLECULAR PLANT, 10 (11): 1449-1460 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molp.2017.10.001 NOV 6 2017
- Ornithine uptake and the modulation of drug sensitivity in Trypanosoma brucei
Macedo, Juan P.; Currier, Rachel B.; Wirdnam, Corina; et al.
FASEB JOURNAL, 31 (10): 4649-4660 OCT 2017 10.1096/fj.201700311R
- Arginine and Lysine Transporters Are Essential for Trypanosoma brucei
Mathieu, Christoph; Macedo, Juan P.; Huerlimann, Daniel; et al.
PLOS ONE, 12 (1): JAN 3 2017 Article (Details)
- An Arginine Deprivation Response Pathway Is Induced in Leishmania during Macrophage Invasion
Goldman-Pinkovich, Adele; Balno, Caitlin; Strasser, Rona; et al.
PLOS PATHOGENS, 12 (4): APR 2016 Article (Details)
- Amino acid and peptide transport
- Uptake and allocation of organic nitrogen
- Stress physiology
- Vacuolar transport processes
- Amino acid transport in parasitic protozoa