Plant Systematics and Biodiversity
Systematics and evolution of plants and fungi
The Laboratory of Plant Systematics and Biodiversity (Conservatory and Botanical Garden, Geneva) is interested in the biodiversity, systematics, phylogenetics, phylogeography and evolution of plants and fungi. Centred on our internationally renowned herbarium collection and research units (Anatomy and micromorphology ; Microscopy and chromatography ; SIG-remote sensing and tele-detection; Phylogeny and molecular genetics) we focus on describing and documenting species, analysing their anatomical-morphological features, establishing their genetic relationships and elucidating the evolutionary processes that shaped them.
We also explore the diversity composition of plants and fungi in Switzerland, the Alps, Africa, Madagascar, Central and South America. Our research covers taxonomy, systematics and evolution; floras, catalogues and inventories; conservation, ecology and vegetation analysis; ethnobotany – the history of science. We have taxonomic expertise in the Arecaceae, Aquifoliaceae, Dicranaceae, Gesneriaceae, Parmeliaceae, Sapotaceae. Our diverse research projects, done in collaboration with students and our network of partners, result in 50-60 scientific publications per year.
- Taxonomy – Systematics
- Morphology – Anatomy
- Molecular genetics
- Vegetation analyis and mapping
- Ethnobotany – history of science
Michelle J. Price on Google Scholar (for full list)
- Unearthing a lectotype for Polytrichum commune Hedw. (Bryophyta, Polytrichaceae)
Kariyawasam, Isuru U.; Price, Michelle J.; Bell, Neil E.; Long, David G.; Mill, Robert R.; et al.
Taxon, DOI: 10.1002/tax.12444 JAN 2021
- Chiloscyphus parapilistipulus (Lophocoleaceae), a new species of liverwort from New Caledonia, with the typification of Lophocolea pilistipula
Thouvenot, Louis; Price, Michelle J.
Candollea, DOI: 10.15553/c2020v752a10 OCT 2020
- Biomonitoring of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Deposition in Greenland Using Historical Moss Herbarium Specimens Shows a Decrease in Pollution During the 20(th) Century
Martinez-Swatson, Karen; Mihaly, Eszter; Lange, Christian; Ernst, Madeleine; Dela Cruz, Majbrit; et al.
Frontiers In Plant Science, DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2020.01085 JUL 15 2020
Prof. Dr. Michelle Price
Conservatoire et Jardins botaniques de Genève & University of Geneva
Department of Plant Sciences
Tel: +41 22 418 51 48
- Systematics and biodiversity
- Phylogenetics and biogeography
- Population genetics
- Floristics and vegetation analysis
- Conservation and habitat protection