Rodrigo's research is centers on the conservation of biological and cultural heritage. Responsible for introducing the concept of indigenous knowledge networks, he brings the human dimension into studies of ecosystem services that traditionally focused on the ecological component. Policy-relevant, his research with the provincial government of West Papua has helped identify regional-scale priorities for expanding protected areas and safeguarding biocultural heritage in the face of climate change. Firmly rooted in natural history, he has spent 30 months doing collaborative fieldwork with 28 indigenous groups in South America and New Guinea, organized capacity-building workshops across the tropics, and led a team of 99 scientists from 56 institutions to build the first expert-verified checklist of the world's richest island flora.
- Indigenous knowledge
- Tropical biodiversity
- New Guinea
- Biocultural vulnerability exposes threats of culturally important species
V Reyes-García, R Cámara-Leret, BS Halpern, C O’Hara, D Renard, ...
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 120 (2), 2023, e2217303120
- The likely extinction of hundreds of palm species threatens their contributions to people and ecosystems
S Bellot, Y Lu, A Antonelli, WJ Baker, J Dransfield, F Forest, WD Kissling, ...
Nature Ecology & Evolution 6 (11), 1710-1722, (2022), ,
- Language extinction triggers the loss of unique medicinal knowledge
R Cámara-Leret, J Bascompte
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 118 (24) 2022, e2103683118
- Life‐history dimensions indicate non‐random assembly processes in tropical island tree communities
J Schrader, D Craven, C Sattler, R Cámara‐Leret, S Moeljono, H Kreft
Ecography 44 (3), 469-480 2021,
- In memoriam David G. Frodin (8 April 1940–12 August 2019)
R Cámara-Leret, BJ Conn
Blumea-Biodiversity, Evolution and Biogeography of Plants 65 (3), 11l-18, 2021
- State of the World’s Plants and Fungi
A Antonelli, RJ Smith, C Fry, MSJ Simmonds, PJ Kersey, HW Pritchard, ...
Royal Botanic Gardens (Kew); Sfumato Foundation 2020,
Prof. Dr. Rodrigo Cámara Leret
University of Zurich
Department of Systematic and Evolutionary Botany
Phone +41 44 63 48441
- Integrating ethnobotany and linguistics (PNAS 2021)
- Integrating ethnobotany and network science (PNAS 2019)
- Integrating ethnobotany and functional ecology (Nature Plants 2017)