Plant population dynamics
Understanding plant population dynamics is important in ecology and conservation biology including basic (coexistence vs. competitive exclusion) and applied (management of endangered or invasive species) perspectives. We apply experiments and theoretical models to increase understanding of natural and managed plant populations.
Spatial patterns within and among plant species play an important role modifying the relative strength of intra- vs. interpsecific competition. However, empirical knowledge lacks behind theoretical developments and one of our main aims is to experimentally test theoretical models of plant population and community dynamics. In this context, experimentally testing effects of genetic relatedness between individuals is of particular recent interest.
- Chronic intermittent stress exposure and access to grass silage interact differently in their effect on behaviour, gastric health and stress physiology of entire or castrated male growing-finishing pigs
Holinger, M; Fruh, B; Stoll, P; Graage, R; Wirth, S; Bruckmaier, R; Prunier, A; Kreuzer, M; Hillmann, E
PHYSIOLOGY & BEHAVIOR, 195 58-68; 10.1016/j.physbeh.2018.07.019 OCT 15 2018
- Experimental disconnection from common mycorrhizal networks has little effect on competitive interactions among common temperate grassland species
Milkereit, J; Frossard, E; Stoll, P; Wagg, C; Niklaus, PA
JOURNAL OF ECOLOGY, 106 (6):2332-2343; 10.1111/1365-2745.12984 NOV 2018
- Colonization dynamics of a clonal pioneer plant on a glacier foreland inferred from spatially explicit and size-structured matrix models
Scherrer, Daniel; Stoll, Peter; Stocklin, Jurg
FOLIA GEOBOTANICA, 52 (3-4): 353-366 DEC 2017 Article (Details)
- Effect sizes and standardization in neighbourhood models of forest stands: potential biases and misinterpretations
Stoll, Peter; Murrell, David J.; Newbery, David M.
METHODS IN ECOLOGY AND EVOLUTION, 6 (10): 1117-1125 OCT 2015 Article (Details)
- A Neighborhood Analysis of the Consequences of Quercus suber Decline for Regeneration Dynamics in Mediterranean Forests
Ibanez, Beatriz; Gomez-Aparicio, Lorena; Stoll, Peter; et al.
PLOS ONE, 10 (2): FEB 23 2015 Article (Details)
- Relaxation of species-specific neighborhood effects in Bornean rain forest under climatic perturbation
Newbery, David M.; Stoll, Peter
ECOLOGY, 94 (12): 2838-2851 DEC 2013 Article (Details)
- Heritability of sperm length and adult shell size in the land snail Arianta arbustorum (Linnaeus, 1758)
Minoretti, Nicole; Stoll, Peter; Baur, Bruno
JOURNAL OF MOLLUSCAN STUDIES, 79 (): 218-224 AUG 2013 Article (Details)
- Plant competition and coexistence mechanisms
- Matrix models and population viability analyses (PVA)
- Experimental tests of theoretical predictions
- Genotyping of individual plants
- Computer based simulation models