Plant cell wall dynamics in plant growth and stress response
Plant Cell Biology
The plant cell wall is a complex network of carbohydrate-based polymers that controls overall plant morphogenesis and protects the cell against biotic and abiotic stress factors. Among the cell wall components, cellulose is the main biomass contributor and is essential for several industries. One of the aims of our research is understanding the mechanisms underlying its synthesis and remodeling, especially those related with cellulose microfibril structure and its role in plant stress response.
We are also interested in the cell wall as the first coat by which the cell communicates with its neighbour cells and the environment. To fulfil this function, the cell wall needs to be a highly dynamic and responsive structure, able to sense and integrate external stimuli and to transmit them across the plasma membrane. A fine-tuned communication with the cytosol through clathrin-mediated endocytosis is especially important for fast and localized responses, for example in reaction to microbes. In our group we aim to characterize the dynamic changes of the cell wall and the function of the clathrin-mediated endocytosis machinery at the cellular level, particularly in the microbe-plant interface.
- YODA MAP3K kinase regulates plant immune responses conferring broad-spectrum disease resistance
Sara Sopeña‐Torres; Lucía Jordá; Clara Sánchez‐Rodríguez; Eva Miedes; Viviana Escudero; Sanjay Swami; Gemma López; Mariola Piślewska‐Bednarek; Ines Lassowskat; Justin Lee; Yangnan Gu; Sabine Haigis; Danny Alexander; Sivakumar Pattathil; Antonio Muñoz‐Barrios; Pawel Bednarek; Shauna Somerville; Paul Schulze‐Lefert; Michael G. Hahn; Dierk Scheel; Antonio Molina
New Phytologist 218(2):661-680, DOI: 10.1111/nph.15007 February 2018
- The Cellulose Synthases Are Cargo of the TPLATE Adaptor Complex
Sanchez-Rodriguez, Clara; Shi, Yanyun; Kesten, Christopher; et al.
MOLECULAR PLANT, 11 (2): 346-349 FEB 5 2018 Letter (Details)
- Regulation of cellulose synthesis in response to stress
Kesten, Christopher; Menna, Alexandra; Sanchez-Rodriguez, Clara
CURRENT OPINION IN PLANT BIOLOGY, 40: 106-113 DEC 2017 Review (Details)
- T-DNA alleles of the receptor kinase THESEUS1 with opposing effects on cell wall integrity signaling
Merz, David; Richter, Julia; Gonneau, Martine; et al.
JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL BOTANY, 68 (16): 4583-4593 JUL 20 2017 Article (Details)
- Seeing is believing: cell biology at the plant-microbe interface
Deeks, Mike; Sanchez-Rodriguez, Clara
NEW PHYTOLOGIST, 211 (1): 16-19 JUL 2016 Editorial Material (Details)
- Differential Regulation of Clathrin and Its Adaptor Proteins during Membrane Recruitment for Endocytosis
Wang, Chao; Hu, Tianwei; Yan, Xu; et al.
PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, 171 (1): 215-229 MAY 2016 Article (Details)
- Cell wall synthesis and remodeling
- Endocytosis mediated signaling
- Plant stress response
- Life cell imaging and quantitative microscopy
- Cell wall biochemistry and laser based microscopy
- Plant-microbe interaction
- Genetic screens