Molecular & physiology rules of ABC transporters in plants
Molecular Plant Physiology
The ABC protein family encompasses one of the largest protein families and is found in all phyla. The majority of ABC proteins are integral membrane proteins and act as ATP-driven transporters for a very wide range of substrates including lipids, drugs, heavy metals, ions and hormones.
In the plant model-system Arabidopsis 129 genes code for ABC proteins. However so far the substrates have been identified only for about 10 ABC transporters. For about other 20 genes the function has been proposed, but the substrates have not been unequivocally identified and no transport data has been presented.
My research aims at better understanding plant ABC transporters, and especially at identifying their substrates and revealing the detailed transport mechanism of ABC protein which will allow to place them in a physiological context. To do this, we will establish the Lactococcus lactis system for plant ABC transporters expression and substrate screening.
- Arabidopsis thaliana Raf22 protein kinase maintains growth capacity during postgerminative growth arrest under stress
Hwang, Jae-Ung; Yim, Sojeong; Thanh Ha Thi Do; et al.
PLANT CELL AND ENVIRONMENT Volume: 41 Issue: 7 Pages: 1565-1578 10.1111/pce.13199 JUL 2018
- Cytokinin Transporters: GO and STOP in Signaling
Kang, Joohyun; Lee, Youngsook; Sakakibara, Hitoshi; et al.
TRENDS IN PLANT SCIENCE Volume: 22 Issue: 6 Pages: 455-461 10.1016/j.tplants.2017.03.003 JUN 2017
- A quantitative study of cotyledon positioning in conifer development
Holloway, David M.; Brook, Byron; Kang, JooHyun; et al.
BOTANY Volume: 94 Issue: 11 Pages: 1063-1074 10.1139/cjb-2015-0242 NOV 2016
- Postmeiotic development of pollen surface layers requires two Arabidopsis ABCG-type transporters
Yim, Sojeong; Khare, Deepa; Kang, Joohyun; et al.
PLANT CELL REPORTS Volume: 35 Issue: 9 Pages: 1863-1873 10.1007/s00299-016-2001-3 SEP 2016
- The role of ABCG-type ABC transporters in phytohormone transport
Borghi, Lorenzo; Kang, Joohyun; Ko, Donghwi; ; Lee, Youngsook; Martinoia, Enrico
BIOCHEMICAL SOCIETY TRANSACTIONS Volume: 43 Pages: 924-930 Part: 5 10.1042/BST20150106 OCT 2015
- Abscisic acid transporters cooperate to control seed germination
Kang, Joohyun; Yim, Sojeong; Choi, Hyunju; Kim, Areum; Lee, Keun Pyo; Lopez-Molina, Luis; Martinoia, Enrico; Lee, Youngsook
NATURE COMMUNICATIONS Volume: 6 Article Number: 8113 10.1038/ncomms9113 SEP 2015
- Physiology of ABC transporters
- Strucuture of ABC transporters
- Pathogen invasion
- Phyto-hormonal transport (translocation, distribution)
- Structural biology of membrane protein
- Recombinant protein production in Lactococcus
- Plant - microbe interaction (Pathogen invasion)
- Arabidopsis functional genomics
- Chemical signaling in Arabidopsis (e.g. Ca2+)
- InsPx monitoring (analysis, measurement) in plants