Chloroplast biogenesis and light acclimation
Genetics of Photosynthesis
Chloroplasts are organelles of the plant cell that specialize in photosynthesis. In this process, light energy from the sun is converted into chemical energy in the form of sugars and other compounds that feed the plant and indirectly fuel most of the biosphere. Chloroplast biogenesis is governed by two genomes, in the nucleus and in the organelles. Thus gene expression in the two compartments has to be tightly coordinated to ensure the assembly of the photosynthetic machinery and its acclimation to the environment, particularly to light.
Our genetic studies with the unicellular green alga Chlamydomonas have revealed many nucleus-encoded factors which are imported into the chloroplast where they play very specific roles in post-transcriptional steps of chloroplast gene expression such as RNA splicing, RNA processing and translation. We are also investigating a regulatory network of conserved protein kinases and phosphatases that are involved in light acclimation in Chlamydomonas and Arabidopsis.
- Coping with 'Dark Sides of the Sun' through Photoreceptor Signaling
Demarsy, Emilie; Goldschmidt-Clermont, Michel; Ulm, Roman
TRENDS IN PLANT SCIENCE, 23 (3):260-271; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tplants.2017.11.007 MAR 2018
- A systems-wide understanding of photosynthetic acclimation in algae and higher plants
Moejes, Fiona Wanjiku; Matuszynska, Anna; Adhikari, Kailash; et al.
JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL BOTANY, 68 (11): 2667-2681 MAY 17 2017 Review (Details)
- Comparison of transplastomic Chlamydomonas reinhardtii and Nicotiana tabacum expression system for the production of a bacterial endoglucanase
Fae, Matteo; Accossato, Sonia; Cella, Rino; et al.
APPLIED MICROBIOLOGY AND BIOTECHNOLOGY, 101 (10): 4085-4092 MAY 2017 Article (Details)
- UV-B photoreceptor-mediated protection of the photosynthetic machinery in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii
Allorent, Guillaume; Lefebvre-Legendre, Linnka; Chappuis, Richard; et al.
ROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, 113 (51): 14864-14869, 10.1073/pnas.1607695114 DEC 20 2016
- A Nucleus-Encoded Chloroplast Phosphoprotein Governs Expression of the Photosystem I Subunit PsaC in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii
Douchi, Damien; Qu, Yujiao; Longoni, Paolo; et al.
PLANT CELL, 28 (5): 1182-1199 MAY 2016 Article (Details)
- Chloroplast RNA splicing and processing, translation
- Nucleus-encoded factors involved in chloroplast gene expression
- Light acclimation and state transitions
- Chlamydomonas reinhardtii and Arabidopsis thaliana
- Chloroplast genetic engineering
- SystemsX.ch “Plant Growth in a changing environment”
- NCCR “Plant Survival”
- NRP59 “Benefits and Risks of the Deliberate Release of Genetically Modified Plants”
- FP7-KBBE-2009-3: “SUNBIOPATH”