Induced resistance and priming against biotic and abiotic stress
Plants have evolved inducible defence mechanisms to protect themselves against biotic and abiotic stresses. Upon inoculation with necrosis-inducing pathogens or various nonpathogenic root-colonizing Pseudomonads, or treatment with various natural and synthetic compounds such as β-aminobutyric acid (BABA) they acquire enhanced resistance to a broad spectrum of pathogens. The various induced resistance phenomena are associated with an enhanced capacity for the rapid and effective activation of cellular defence responses, which are induced only after challenge by a stressor. The augmented capacity to mobilize cellular defence responses has been called the ‘PRIMED’ state of the plant.
We are interested in the molecular mechanism(s) and genetic basis of priming and its role in induced disease against biotic and abiotic stresses. We work mainly with the model plant Arabidopsis but have recently started a project on induced resistance in maize, where we are specially interested in the expression of induced resistance at the root level.
- Resistance against Fusarium graminearum and the relationship to beta-glucan content in barley grains
Martin, C; Schoneberg, T; Vogelgsang, S; Morisoli, R; Bertossa, M; Mauch-Mani, B; Mascher, F
EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF PLANT PATHOLOGY, 152 (3):621-634; 10.1007/s10658-018-1506-8 NOV 2018
- Tricarboxylates Induce Defense Priming Against Bacteria in Arabidopsis thaliana
Balmer, A; Pastor, V; Glauser, G; Mauch-Mani, B
FRONTIERS IN PLANT SCIENCE, 9 10.3389/fpls.2018.01221 AUG 20 2018
- Responses of Oat Grains to Fusarium poae and F-langsethiae Infections and Mycotoxin Contaminations
Martin, Charlotte; Schoneberg, Torsten; Vogelgsang, Susanne; et al.
TOXINS, 10 (1): JAN 2018 Editorial Material (Details)
- The accumulation of beta-aminobutyric acid is controlled by the plant's immune system
Baccelli, Ivan; Glauser, Gaetan; Mauch-Mani, Brigitte
PLANTA, 246 (4): 791-796 OCT 2017 Article (Details)
- Defense Priming: An Adaptive Part of Induced Resistance
Mauch-Mani, Brigitte; Baccelli, Ivan; Luna, Estrella; et al.
ANNUAL REVIEW OF PLANT BIOLOGY, VOL 68, 68: 485-512 2017 Review; Book Chapter (Details)
- Factors of wheat grain resistance to Fusarium head blight
Martin, Charlotte; Schoeneberg, Torsten; Vogelgsang, Susanne; et al.
PHYTOPATHOLOGIA MEDITERRANEA, 56 (1): 154-166 2017 Article; Proceedings Paper (Details)
- BABA-induced resistance and priming in Arabidopsis
- Systemic acquired resistance and induced resistance at the root level in maize
- Hormone signaling in Arabidopsis
- Bio-control of plant diseases
- Arabidopsis fungal and oomycete pathogens
- Callose in pathogenesis
- Hormone measurement