Identifying the genes important in plant ecology and evolution
Our work focuses on the ecology and evolution of plants. We are especially interested in finding the genes that are important in ecologically relevant plant traits.
Because they are fixed in place, plants are much more likely to adapt to local environmental conditions than other organisms. However, it remains unclear how plants simultaneously adapt to both abiotic and biotic stresses. Which genes are involved? Does pleiotropy play a role? Plants, like other higher organisms, are colonized by a wide variety of microbes (e.g. viruses, bacteria, fungi), and the genes within the microbiome often outnumber those in the host. Do the genes within the microbiome also shape plant adaptation?
Our studies use tools from population genetics, molecular genetics, statistics and ecology to investigate how the plant-microbiome forms and whether the structure of the microbiome shapes host phenotypic variation.
- The genetic architecture of freezing tolerance varies across the range of Arabidopsis thaliana
Horton, Matthew W.; Willems, Glenda; Sasaki, Eriko; et al.
PLANT CELL AND ENVIRONMENT, 39 (11): 2570-2579 10.1111/pce.12812 NOV 2016
- Genome-wide association study of Arabidopsis thaliana leaf microbial community
Horton, Matthew W.; Bodenhausen, Natacha; Beilsmith, Kathleen; et al.
NATURE COMMUNICATIONS, 5: 5320 NOV 2014 Article (Details)
- Genomic variability as a driver of plant-pathogen coevolution?
Karasov, Talia L.; Horton, Matthew W.; Bergelson, Joy
CURRENT OPINION IN PLANT BIOLOGY, 18: 24-30 APR 2014 Article (Details)
- Bacterial Communities Associated with the Leaves and the Roots of Arabidopsis thaliana
Bodenhausen, Natacha; Horton, Matthew W.; Bergelson, Joy
PLOS ONE, 8 (2): e56329 FEB 2013 Article (Details)
- GWAPP: A Web Application for Genome-Wide Association Mapping in Arabidopsis
Seren, Uemit; Vilhjalmsson, Bjarni J.; Horton, Matthew W.; et al.
PLANT CELL, 24 (12): 4793-4805 DEC 2012 Article (Details)
- Plant evolutionary ecology
- The factors that shape the plant microbiome
- Diversity within the microbiome
- The role of the microbiome in adapting to extreme environments
- Statistical plant genetics
- Validating promising candidate genes
- Plant metabolomics
- Plant breeding