World Biodiversity Forum
Lipstick on a Fig Tree
Why planting trees avoids the real problems (and may make things worse)
Thursday, 14th January 2021, 17:30 CET
Tree-planting dominates political and popular agendas, and is often portrayed as an easy answer to the climate crisis and effective mitigation for corporate carbon emissions.
However, it is not a simple solution and planting the wrong trees in the wrong place can cause considerably more damage than benefits, failing people and nature. What are a botanist’s rules of engagement in a rapidly changing world?
- Dean Meigan Aronson of the University of British Columbia Faculty of Science
- Patrick Lewis, Director of the University of British Columbia Botanical Garden
- Dr. Paul Smith, Secretary General of Botanic Gardens Conservation International
- Dr. Pedro Bancalion, Professor of Tropical Forestry at the University of São Paulo
- Lana Sutherland, CEO and Co-Founder of TEALEAVES
Register here to join the live event
Virtual World Biodiversity Forum, https://www.worldbiodiversityforum.org/
Export event as iCal