Greenhouse gas fluxes in forests and agroecosystems
My main interest is the quantification of greenhouse gas fluxes of CO2, CH4 and N2O and the surface energy fluxes of diverse land surface types. Both components – greenhouse gases and energy fluxes – may feed back to climate on local, regional and global scales, and hence the quantitiative understanding of these fluxes and of the processes governing these fluxes is important. Of special interests are agroecosystems, forests, grasslands, and tundra. Additional interests are fluxes from aquatic ecosystems, namely from lakes in Switzerland and the Arctic, where I have a close collaboration with colleagues from EAWAG in Switzerland and Toolik Lake LTER in Alaska. A special topic is my fog research where I am mostly interested in interactions of fog and ecosystems affected by fog. Besides hydrological aspects the nutrient and pollutant inputs to such ecosystems, particularly at the Lägeren mixed forest site in Switzerland and tropical montane cloud forests (TMCF) in Central America are of great interest. I am also involved in using stable isotopes for tracing and understanding fluxes of water and carbon in ecosystems.
- Greenhouse gas fluxes over managed grasslands in Central Europe
Hortnagl, L; Barthel, M; Buchmann, N; Eugster, W; Butterbach-Bahl, K; Diaz-Pines, E; Zeeman, M; Klumpp, K; Kiese, R; Bahn, M; Hammerle, A; Lu, HY; Ladreiter-Knauss, T; Burri, S; Merbold, L
GLOBAL CHANGE BIOLOGY, 24 (5):1843-1872; https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-15-1293-2018 MAY 2018
- Preface to the AAQR Special Issue "Fog, Fog Collection and Dew"
Klemm, Otto; Eugster, Werner; Scholl, Martha; et al.
AEROSOL AND AIR QUALITY RESEARCH Volume: 18 Issue: 1 Pages: I-ii 10.4209/aaqr.2018.01.FOG JAN 2018
- Effects of vernal equinox solar eclipse on temperature and wind direction in Switzerland
Eugster, Werner; Emmel, Carmen; Wolf, Sebastian; Buchmann, Nina; McFadden, Joseph P; Whiteman, Charles David
ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS, 17 (24): 14887-14904 DEC 18 2017 10.5194/acp-17-14887-2017
- Below-canopy contributions to ecosystem CO2 fluxes in a temperate mixed forest in Switzerland
Paul-Limoges, E.; Wolf, S.; Eugster, W.; et al.
AGRICULTURAL AND FOREST METEOROLOGY, 247: 582-596 DEC 15 2017 Article (Details)
- Elemental Composition of Natural Nanoparticles and Fine Colloids in European Forest Stream Waters and Their Role as Phosphorus Carriers
Gottselig, N.; Amelung, W.; Kirchner, J. W.; et al.
GLOBAL BIOGEOCHEMICAL CYCLES, 31 (10): 1592-1607 OCT 2017 Article (Details)
- Modeling CO2 emissions from Arctic lakes: Model development and site-level study
Tan, Zeli; Zhuang, Qianlai; Shurpali, Narasinha J.; et al.
JOURNAL OF ADVANCES IN MODELING EARTH SYSTEMS, 9 (5): 2190-2213 SEP 2017 Article (Details)
- Minor methane emissions from an Alpine hydropower reservoir based on monitoring of diel and seasonal variability
Sollberger, Sebastien; Wehrli, Bernhard; Schubert, Carsten J.; et al.
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE-PROCESSES & IMPACTS, 19 (10): 1278-1291 OCT 1 2017 Article (Details)
- Methane fluxes
- CO2 exchange
- Climate feedbacks from land-use changes
- Mountain ecosystems
- Link to geographical aspects of scales (ecosystem scale, regional scale)
- Agronomy (plant production and productivity, emissions from animals)
- Micrometeorology and ecosystem sciences
- Involvement in Arctic system science research
- Limnological effluxes of climate-relevant trace gases