Greenhouse gas fluxes in forests and agroecosystems
Biosphere–Atmosphere Exchange Processes
My main interest is the quantification of greenhouse gas fluxes of CO2, CH4 and N2O and the surface energy fluxes of diverse land surface types. Both components – greenhouse gases and energy fluxes – may feed back to climate on local, regional and global scales, and hence the quantitiative understanding of these fluxes and of the processes governing these fluxes is important. Of special interests are agroecosystems, forests, grasslands, and tundra. Additional interests are fluxes from aquatic ecosystems, namely from lakes in Switzerland and the Arctic, where I have a close collaboration with colleagues from EAWAG in Switzerland and Toolik Lake LTER in Alaska.
A special topic is my fog research where I am mostly interested in interactions of fog and ecosystems affected by fog. Besides hydrological aspects the nutrient and pollutant inputs to such ecosystems, particularly at the Lägeren mixed forest site in Switzerland and tropical montane cloud forests (TMCF) in Central America are of great interest. I am also involved in using stable isotopes for tracing and understanding fluxes of water and carbon in ecosystems.
- Interannual, summer, and diel variability of CH4 and CO2 effluxes from Toolik Lake, Alaska, during the ice-free periods 2010-2015
Eugster, Werner; DelSontro, Tonya; Shaver, Gaius R.; Kling, George W.
Environmental Science-processes & Impacts DOI: 10.1039/d0em00125b NOV 1 2020
- Physiological response of Swiss ecosystems to 2018 drought across plant types and elevation
Gharun, Mana; Hoertnagl, Lukas; Paul-Limoges, Eugenie; Ghiasi, Shiva; Feigenwinter, Iris; Burri, Susanne; Marquardt, Kristiina; Etzold, Sophia; Zweifel, Roman; Eugster, Werner; Buchmann, Nina
Philosophical Transactions Of The Royal Society B-biological Sciences 10.1098/rstb.2019.0521 OCT 26 2020
- Identifying the key challenges for fog and low stratus forecasting in complex terrain
Westerhuis, Stephanie; Fuhrer, Oliver; Cermak, Jan; Eugster, Werner
Quarterly Journal Of The Royal Meteorological Society DOI: 10.1002/qj.3849 OCT 2020
- Phenology and plant functional type dominance drive CO(2)exchange in seminatural grasslands in the Pyrenees
Ibanez, M.; Altimir, N.; Ribas, A.; Eugster, W.; Sebastia, M-T
Journal Of Agricultural Science DOI: 10.1017/S0021859620000179 2020
- Canopy photosynthesis of six major arable crops is enhanced under diffuse light due to canopy architecture
Emmel, Carmen; D'Odorico, Petra; Revill, Andrew; Hortnagl, Lukas; Ammann, Christof; et al.
Global Change Biology DOI: 10.1111/gcb.15226 SEP 2020
- The FLUXNET2015 dataset and the ONEFlux processing pipeline for eddy covariance data
Pastorello, Gilberto; Trotta, Carlo; Canfora, Eleonora; Chu, Housen; Christianson, Danielle; et al.
Scientific Data DOI: 10.1038/s41597-020-0534-3 JUL 9 2020
- Eddy covariance flux measurements of gaseous elemental mercury over a grassland
Osterwalder, Stefan; Eugster, Werner; Feigenwinter, Iris; Jiskra, Martin
Atmospheric Measurement Techniques DOI: 10.5194/amt-13-2057-2020 APR 22 2020
- Long-term reliability of the Figaro TGS 2600 solid-state methane sensor under low-Arctic conditions at Toolik Lake, Alaska
Eugster, Werner; Laundre, James; Eugster, Jon; Kling, George W.
Atmospheric Measurement Techniques DOI: 10.5194/amt-13-2681-2020 Published: MAY 27 2020
- Carbon-nitrogen interactions in European forests and semi-natural vegetation - Part 2: Untangling climatic, edaphic, management and nitrogen deposition effects on carbon sequestration potentials
Flechard, Chris R.; van Oijen, Marcel; Cameron, David R.; de Vries, Wim; Ibrom, Andreas; et al.
Biogeosciences DOI: 10.5194/bg-17-1621-2020, Published: MAR 26 2020
- Carbon-nitrogen interactions in European forests and semi-natural vegetation - Part 1: Fluxes and budgets of carbon, nitrogen and greenhouse gases from ecosystem monitoring and modelling
Flechard, Chris R.; Ibrom, Andreas; Skiba, Ute M.; de Vries, Wim; van Oijen, Marcel; et al.
Biogeosciences DOI: 10.5194/bg-17-1583-2020, Published: MAR 26 2020
- Assessing the response of forest productivity to climate extremes in Switzerland using model-data fusion
Trotsiuk, Volodymyr; Hartig, Florian; Cailleret, Maxime; Babst, Flurin; Forrester, David I.; Baltensweiler, Andri; Buchmann, Nina; Bugmann, H; Gessler, A; Gharun, M; Minunno, F; Rigling, A; Rohner, B; Stillhard, J; Thurig, E; Waldner, P; Ferretti, M; Eugster, W; Schaub, M
Global Change Biology 10.1111/gcb.15011 FEB 2020
- Estimating cropland carbon fluxes: A process-based model evaluation at a Swiss crop-rotation site
Revill, A; Emmel, C; D'Odorico, P; Buchmann, N; Hortnagl, L; Eugster, W
FIELD CROPS RESEARCH, 234 95-106; 10.1016/j.fcr.2019.02.006 MAR 15 2019
- Vertical patterns of photosynthesis and related leaf traits in two contrasting agricultural crops
D'Odorico, P; Emmel, C; Revill, A; Liebisch, F; Eugster, W; Buchmann, N
FUNCTIONAL PLANT BIOLOGY, 46 (3):213-227; 10.1071/FP18061 2019
- Source partitioning of atmospheric methane using stable carbon isotope measurements in the Reuss Valley, Switzerland
Stieger, Jacqueline; Bamberger, Ines; Siegwolf, Rolf T. W.; Buchmann, Nina; Eugster, Werner
ISOTOPES IN ENVIRONMENTAL AND HEALTH STUDIES, 55 (1):1-24; 10.1080/10256016.2018.1561448 JAN 2 2019
- Species-specific differences in water uptake depth of mature temperate trees vary with water availability in the soil
Brinkmann, N.; Eugster, W.; Buchmann, N.; Kahmen, A.
PLANT BIOLOGY, 21 (1):71-81; 10.1111/plb.12907 JAN 2019
Prof Dr. Werner Eugster
Institute of Agricultural Sciences
Tel: +41 (0)44 632 68 47
- Methane fluxes
- CO2 exchange
- Climate feedbacks from land-use changes
- Mountain ecosystems
- Link to geographical aspects of scales (ecosystem scale, regional scale)
- Agronomy (plant production and productivity, emissions from animals)
- Micrometeorology and ecosystem sciences
- Involvement in Arctic system science research
- Limnological effluxes of climate-relevant trace gases