Greenhouse gas fluxes in forests and agroecosystems
Biosphere–Atmosphere Exchange Processes
My main interest is the quantification of greenhouse gas fluxes of CO2, CH4 and N2O and the surface energy fluxes of diverse land surface types. Both components – greenhouse gases and energy fluxes – may feed back to climate on local, regional and global scales, and hence the quantitiative understanding of these fluxes and of the processes governing these fluxes is important. Of special interests are agroecosystems, forests, grasslands, and tundra. Additional interests are fluxes from aquatic ecosystems, namely from lakes in Switzerland and the Arctic, where I have a close collaboration with colleagues from EAWAG in Switzerland and Toolik Lake LTER in Alaska.
A special topic is my fog research where I am mostly interested in interactions of fog and ecosystems affected by fog. Besides hydrological aspects the nutrient and pollutant inputs to such ecosystems, particularly at the Lägeren mixed forest site in Switzerland and tropical montane cloud forests (TMCF) in Central America are of great interest. I am also involved in using stable isotopes for tracing and understanding fluxes of water and carbon in ecosystems.
- Carbon-nitrogen interactions in European forests and semi-natural vegetation - Part 2: Untangling climatic, edaphic, management and nitrogen deposition effects on carbon sequestration potentials
Flechard, Chris R.; van Oijen, Marcel; Cameron, David R.; de Vries, Wim; Ibrom, Andreas; et al.
Biogeosciences DOI: 10.5194/bg-17-1621-2020, Published: MAR 26 2020
- Carbon-nitrogen interactions in European forests and semi-natural vegetation - Part 1: Fluxes and budgets of carbon, nitrogen and greenhouse gases from ecosystem monitoring and modelling
Flechard, Chris R.; Ibrom, Andreas; Skiba, Ute M.; de Vries, Wim; van Oijen, Marcel; et al.
Biogeosciences DOI: 10.5194/bg-17-1583-2020, Published: MAR 26 2020
- Assessing the response of forest productivity to climate extremes in Switzerland using model-data fusion
Trotsiuk, Volodymyr; Hartig, Florian; Cailleret, Maxime; Babst, Flurin; Forrester, David I.; Baltensweiler, Andri; Buchmann, Nina; Bugmann, H; Gessler, A; Gharun, M; Minunno, F; Rigling, A; Rohner, B; Stillhard, J; Thurig, E; Waldner, P; Ferretti, M; Eugster, W; Schaub, M
Global Change Biology 10.1111/gcb.15011 FEB 2020
- Estimating cropland carbon fluxes: A process-based model evaluation at a Swiss crop-rotation site
Revill, A; Emmel, C; D'Odorico, P; Buchmann, N; Hortnagl, L; Eugster, W
FIELD CROPS RESEARCH, 234 95-106; 10.1016/j.fcr.2019.02.006 MAR 15 2019
- Vertical patterns of photosynthesis and related leaf traits in two contrasting agricultural crops
D'Odorico, P; Emmel, C; Revill, A; Liebisch, F; Eugster, W; Buchmann, N
FUNCTIONAL PLANT BIOLOGY, 46 (3):213-227; 10.1071/FP18061 2019
- Source partitioning of atmospheric methane using stable carbon isotope measurements in the Reuss Valley, Switzerland
Stieger, Jacqueline; Bamberger, Ines; Siegwolf, Rolf T. W.; Buchmann, Nina; Eugster, Werner
ISOTOPES IN ENVIRONMENTAL AND HEALTH STUDIES, 55 (1):1-24; 10.1080/10256016.2018.1561448 JAN 2 2019
- Species-specific differences in water uptake depth of mature temperate trees vary with water availability in the soil
Brinkmann, N.; Eugster, W.; Buchmann, N.; Kahmen, A.
PLANT BIOLOGY, 21 (1):71-81; 10.1111/plb.12907 JAN 2019
- Effect of environmental conditions on sun-induced fluorescence in a mixed forest and a cropland
Paul-Limoges, E; Damm, A; Hueni, A; Liebisch, F; Eugster, W; Schaepman, ME; Buchmann, N
REMOTE SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT, 219 310-323; 10.1016/j.rse.2018.10.018 DEC 15 2018
- Genetic yield gains of winter wheat in Germany over more than 100 years (1895-2007) under contrasting fertilizer applications
Ahrends, HE; Eugster, W; Gaiser, T; Rueda-Ayala, V; Huging, H; Ewert, F; Siebert, S
ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH LETTERS, 13 (10):10.1088/1748-9326/aade12 OCT 2018
- Integrated management of a Swiss cropland is not sufficient to preserve its soil carbon pool in the long term
Emmel, C; Winkler, A; Hortnagl, L; Revill, A; Ammann, C; D'Odorico, P; Buchmann, N; Eugster, W
BIOGEOSCIENCES, 15 (17):5377-5393; 10.5194/bg-15-5377-2018 SEP 6 2018
- Management matters: testing a mitigation strategy for nitrous oxide emissions using legumes on intensively managed grassland
Fuchs, K; Hortnagl, L; Buchmann, N; Eugster, W; Snow, V; Merbold, L
BIOGEOSCIENCES, 15 (18):5519-5543; 10.5194/bg-15-5519-2018 SEP 18 2018
- Employing stable isotopes to determine the residence times of soil water and the temporal origin of water taken up by Fagus sylvatica and Picea abies in a temperate forest
Brinkmann, N; Seeger, S; Weiler, M; Buchmann, N; Eugster, W; Kahmen, A
NEW PHYTOLOGIST, 219 (4):1300-1313; 10.1111/nph.15255 SEP 2018
- Greenhouse gas fluxes over managed grasslands in Central Europe
Hortnagl, L; Barthel, M; Buchmann, N; Eugster, W; Butterbach-Bahl, K; Diaz-Pines, E; Zeeman, M; Klumpp, K; Kiese, R; Bahn, M; Hammerle, A; Lu, HY; Ladreiter-Knauss, T; Burri, S; Merbold, L
GLOBAL CHANGE BIOLOGY, 24 (5):1843-1872; https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-15-1293-2018 MAY 2018
- Preface to the AAQR Special Issue "Fog, Fog Collection and Dew"
Klemm, Otto; Eugster, Werner; Scholl, Martha; et al.
AEROSOL AND AIR QUALITY RESEARCH 18,1 (pages: I-ii) 10.4209/aaqr.2018.01.FOG JAN 2018
- Methane fluxes
- CO2 exchange
- Climate feedbacks from land-use changes
- Mountain ecosystems
- Link to geographical aspects of scales (ecosystem scale, regional scale)
- Agronomy (plant production and productivity, emissions from animals)
- Micrometeorology and ecosystem sciences
- Involvement in Arctic system science research
- Limnological effluxes of climate-relevant trace gases